OT: LED lantern for camping- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

OT: LED lantern for camping

I was thinking a really bright LED lantern could be cool to use instead of the standard Coleman propane lantern I have been using.

Pros would be that I don't have to replace the brittle mantle when the lantern gets dropped every time I pack it, and it wouldn't be hot so the kids could take it without me worrying if they are going to burn the forest down.

Cons, high powered leds seem to have short run times, not as bright as the propane lantern, funky light colors and poor light patterns.

I checked DX and they have a few, but nothing seemed very promising.

I am sure I am not the only one who has thought of this. Anybody try one they are happy with.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I used to have a fluorescent lantern, and didn't care for it. It put out plenty of light to set up camp, but no heat. It would be fine in the summer, but not for my needs.

I miss my old dual fuel single mantle coleman. It was my Dad's before mine, and it finally gave up. I couldn't get the proper parts to fix it either. I think I would prefer a LED headlamp and a traditional lantern.

How many LEDs do you think you would use to get 360 degree spread? Or would you try to rig something up with reflectors?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    How many LEDs do you think you would use to get 360 degree spread? Or would you try to rig something up with reflectors?
    I wouldn't dare try anything like the DIY

Something like what Deesta posted. But I'd like to get some reviews first. Some LED products are amazing, and some turn out to be horrible ideas.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Brunton Polaris

I haven't used one but a couple friends have one for car camping and highly recommend it.
    http://www.rei.com/product/767561

A waste of time it is is

What a sad day for MTBR forums :(

Someone has finally worked out how to hack in and take over someone else's log in details

Surely that's what this post is really about, or has Troutie not realised April fool's day jokes are only good for the 1st of April. c'mon what are you doing to us

The DIY light loving overlord, purveyor of all things LED is seriously talking about buying a ready made LED light for, f#$k I dont care what the reason. If he's buying ready made the rest of us may as well just give our box of bits away and go down and queue up a Walmart now for our next lot of lights.

Are you seriously telling us Chris that you don't have a couple of spare leds and a cheap driver lying around? I take you haven't seen these optics http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut855 ? Maybe one on each side of 1" tube, heck, go overboard and and put one on all four sides. Bit of coat hanger wire and it's now a self hanging lantern. I can't believe I'm going to say this but, use your imagination mate

Oh the shame This is just doing my head in

Just on the very slight chance that you are serious, then depending on what you are trying to illuminate, ie inside a tent, over a cooking area, under a tarp then maybe several of these might be an option http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10376 at that price they've got to be worth a try and would probably work better than sitting around looking directly into a single source lantern

mtbr member
    Hangs head in shame and shines a trout light in each eye as a punishment .

A good old petrol powered Coleman northstar is my camping lantern .for outside
    and a troutlight hung on the bit of wire in the tent and for lighting the way to the Cludgy.

Nice one Stu it is good to start the day with a laugh thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Climber
    I was thinking a really bright LED lantern could be cool to use instead of the standard Coleman propane lantern I have been using.

Pros would be that I don't have to replace the brittle mantle when the lantern gets dropped every time I pack it, and it wouldn't be hot so the kids could take it without me worrying if they are going to burn the forest down.

Cons, high powered leds seem to have short run times, not as bright as the propane lantern, funky light colors and poor light patterns.

I checked DX and they have a few, but nothing seemed very promising.

I am sure I am not the only one who has thought of this. Anybody try one they are happy with.
    If you are willing to do a mod, here is a good thread to start with : http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=189628
    When you think that life is though, keep a positive attitude : remember that it is short ;-)

Members who have read this thread: 0