OT: Honeymoon in Florida....Idea's needed!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... OT: Honeymoon in Florida....Idea's needed!!!

Hi Guys,
    Bit random this but I'm planning the honeymoon for my fast-approaching wedding and we're thinking FLORIDA. Does anyone have any experiences of any of the big hotels in Naples, Marco Island area??
    What is there to do in Fl? I've looked into an Airboat ride through the everglades and a cruise/fishing excursion. Is there anything really different to do too?

Cheers, Steve

A waste of time it is is
    I live on the other side of this big round thing we call earth and whilst I've been to the states a couple of times I have never been to Florida so can't really offer any help on that front.

Where i can help thought mate comes from 15yrs of marriage, three kids, onto our second house....... Yes, that's right 15 yrs. I'd be out on parole now if I'd topped someone. My biggest bit of advice I can offer is ride son, ride now, as fast and far away as you can, while you still have a bike that's relatively modern and the time to do it. while the "boys" are still manly enough to give you the courage, while you still have some semblance of control over your own destiny. It's never too late....until the ring is on that finger

Ok, jokes aside, congrats on the upcoming nuptials but unless she is into fishing I wouldn't even suggest that one.

Good luck.

aren't there lots of old people in Florida?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Good job!

Miami has a nice airport and immigration staff are unusually friendly (despite being an alien and sporting a week of facial hair I wasn't treated like a terrorist, which is unusual for the US), but I have only transited so can't give any Fl tips.

I do know Mexico is real close to Florida, and I love Mexico <g>

Or as emu has alluded, you could check out the retirement homes, as from now on life will be all about planning ahead, not what you could do NOW

Seriously, a hotel room with a big bed, aircon to keep the temperatures cool for best performance and endurance, room service, and a swimming pool to aid recovery should be all you need on your honeymoon! Staying away from bike light nerd forums is also a good idea!

PS. Congratulations!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Eat some Cuban food.
    Drink some cold beer.
    Swim in the Gulf.
    Count mosquitos in the Everglades.
    Look for Gopher Tortoises in Oscar Shearer? State park. You can canoe there too.
    Kayak or canoe in the Everglades. I think there's a water trail with tent platforms.
    Read "Killing Mister Watson" by Peter Matthieson. If you finish that, there are follow-ups.
    Visit some Seminoles.
    Collect fossil sharks teeth in Venice.
    Visit Yuba City & buy some cigars?
    Go sponge diving?

Quote Originally Posted by deesta
    Hi Guys,
    Bit random this but I'm planning the honeymoon for my fast-approaching wedding and we're thinking FLORIDA. Does anyone have any experiences of any of the big hotels in Naples, Marco Island area??
    What is there to do in Fl? I've looked into an Airboat ride through the everglades and a cruise/fishing excursion. Is there anything really different to do too?

Cheers, Steve

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Fly to Florida and get on a cruise ship for a week of semi isolation and great food.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hi Steve, Lots to do in Florida. I live in NW Florida, west of Pensacola. This is 700 miles away from where you will be though. If you come up here, I can prolly find you a mountain bike if you wanted to ride. I like to SCUBA dive, and I drive down to the Keys a couple of times a year. You can also tour museums, visit old forts. The upper Keys have a neat wild bird sanctuary. There are walking trails in the Everglades also. You can drive to Cape Canaveral and check out the Saturn 5 rocket. This thing is HUGE! The heat and humidity are something to behold. Don't become a prisoner of the A/C! Later, James

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I work for a rental car company and can get you probably 15% off your rate.
    Universal's Islands of Adventure (Orlando) is lots of fun, never been to Busch Gardens in Tampa but I hear that is good as well. Like above mentioned, you can also get a very good deal on a cruise to the Bahamas or nearby island places.
    A lot of the beaches are very nice both in the gulf and the Atlantic.
    You probably don't want to ride on your honeymoon [but if you do!] I can set you up in Santos, Ocala FL (very nice trails everything from beginner to 2xblack diamond)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

a few suggestions.

Congats.

A few years ago we were in those parts.

Obviously check out Everglades national park. One hint though is watch your speed in the park, when we were there I got a speeding ticket. Outside the park they have some places that offer airboat rides in the everglades, the tour was a few hours and was lots of fun.

I second the idea of going on a cruise. They have lots of cruises leaving south Florida of all lengths, from a day trip to any number of nights.

As far as the Keys. If you are into scuba diving Key largo seems to have the best scuba diving. If you are into happening places then you may want to consider Key West, although it's a bit of a drive (best I can recall 3 + hours or so from Naples). If you go to Key West make sure at least one direction is during the daylight as it's a very scenic road.

Then there is Orlando where there is Disney World, Univesal studios , Sea world etc.
    TEX

mtbr member
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for all the replies

Looks like there's loads to do...I've been having a good look and so far, these are my ideas:

We've got 4 days in Orlando so will do the parks etc

Try and catch a launch @ K S Centre

Airboat ride/everglades tour

Day cruise out from Naples

Fishing trip/golf for me

Spa/pamper day for her

Bit more planning to go, please keep the ideas coming guys

Cheers, Steve

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Orlando is living hell until you buy into the mouse cult. Once you buy in and suspend all judgement, you'll be OK.

I believe there is some kind of pass that allows you to get in special lines so the wait goes from "please kill me now" to "OMG, I only wasted x hrs of my life waiting in line."

In Summer, I would skip all of Disney except for the water park. If you are taking kids, all bets are off - you'd be doomed.

Do not go to any condo sales pitches, no matter what they promise you. Unless you would like living in "The Truman Show", skip Centennial City.

Other parts of FLA:
    South Beach is worth a trip. It has a surprisingly nice beach. Watch your wallet if you're taking the bus from Miami. The guy with his hand in my wife's purse was unembarassed when she yelled at him, but he did stop trying as long as we kept an eye on him.

Bahia Honda State Park has snorkeling expeditions and is on the way to Key West. Try out the conch fritters at the Seven Mile Grill, right before the bridge.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the Marriage! I grew up mostly in NW Florida (Port St Joe), but lived all over it. Great fishing and diving, especially if you can get the upper keys (Key Largo, Islamorado). Be sure to get lots of steamed Gulf Shrimp and "Sweet Tea". Gator tail is pretty good too. It is really hot this time of year so be prepared to sweat. Drink lots of water and lather on the sunscreen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Finally, a thread I can contribute to!

If you coming in the Summer months, it's going to limit your options. The Everglades is REALLY a bad idea unless you like feeding monster mosquitoes, they're out of control this time of year. The theme parks are a bit of a drag in the Summer unless you're ok with the heat.

Since you mentioned Marco Island, I'd suggest a chartered fishing trip out of Chokoloskee (I can also suggest a great guide if you're interested...) but it's also a seasonal thing, not too fun in the Summer. Probably not the best suggestion for a honeymoon either.

Laying out on the beach is always a great option, and there are plenty of museums if you want to get indoors. Hope you have fun!

Carbon8er
    I lived in Sarasota,FL for 28 years, moved to North Carolina in 2001.

If you like to snorkel or dive, definately head down to the keys.
    Upper keys can be snorkled without going all the way.
    Key west is something you should see one time, it's fun.
    Fishing if you are a fisherman.
    The Everglades and all of southern Florida is a wildlife watchers dream. You may have to slather on the deet. Avon skin so soft lotion works great for me.

I am bored to tears on cruise ships. Can't wait for them to stop so I can get off.
    I did cruise out of Miami a couple times and go to Mexico. Mexico is a blast.
    I finally figured out I can fly to Mexico out of Tampa dirt cheap and be doing stuff that afternoon instead of sitting on a ship all that time. Just my personal take on cruises. Many people do enjoy them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Start the marriage like you mean to continue none of those fake lies!!

So take your soldering iron, a selection of metal bits and LED's and spend most of your time working on new lights

You know it makes sense

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    i used to live in WPB, FL. it is very hot, humid, and bug infested. I highly recommend staying indoors in the AC and having lots of SEX!! it is your honeymoon after all.

also, stay away from orlando and mouseland. unless you like paying large entry fees to stand in line.

The west coast (of florida) is very laid back, slow moving, for the most part. drink beer and walk on the beach. not much mountain biking to speak of. use sun block & bring a hat.

have fun!
    the time is right for violent revolution

Members who have read this thread: 0