Options for Easy2LED 20mm housing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Options for Easy2LED 20mm housing?

Hi all - been a while since I posted here - honestly, I have been pretty happy with my lights.

Until last week, when I forgot to charge my bar setup and had to rely on my helmet beam only.

My setup is the Easy2 20mm, warm white XM-L2 (I think) - lflex @ 3A, and a pair of panasonic 3000mah in 2P config. I think I'm running a LED DNA optic, or possibly some of the generics that had popped up from china about 2 years ago. I have the light on the front and the battery on the back, so everything is self contained on the helmet itself. That's something I really want to maintain - plus it is about as light as I can make it, which is a big bonus as well.

I've got a few spare 20mm housings - is there anything out there that should be attracting my attention for a build that would outperform the XML setup for overall output without gaining a lot of battery weight or requiring an uber expensive driver?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am in the same boat. I like the form factor of the easy2led housing, just not as keen on the optics available for an XM-L - I use the narrowest available & it is still not the greatest throw.

From what I can tell the issue is that the size of the XM-L die, relative to the housing limits the ability to get good throw from a reflector or optics.

I had been thinking about using an aspheric lens, but hadn't got past thinking

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yea - that was afraid of as well. I run a 6-up XP-G2 setup on the bar usually, so there's plenty of fill when I've got both, but that one's a battery hog, and when I forget to charge before the weekly night ride, I don't even bother.

Only thing with more output than the XML2 that I can come up with is a MT-G - but I doubt that will solve any reach issues, and I'm betting heat and battery will be an issue.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    Yea - that was afraid of as well. I run a 6-up XP-G2 setup on the bar usually, so there's plenty of fill when I've got both, but that one's a battery hog, and when I forget to charge before the weekly night ride, I don't even bother.

Only thing with more output than the XML2 that I can come up with is a MT-G - but I doubt that will solve any reach issues, and I'm betting heat and battery will be an issue.
    Yeah, you definitely don't want MT-G(2) in the 20mm housing for various reasons... you need a bigger reflector than can fit to get any throw and then there is the heat issue as you mentioned.

mtbr member
    Some of the triple boards and optics are a bit tighter. My favourite is a combo of XPG-2 and XPE-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    Some of the triple boards and optics are a bit tighter. My favourite is a combo of XPG-2 and XPE-2.
    +1

That's what I'm running in my 20mm housing. Triple XP-G with narrow optics and powered with MaxFlex driver. Its OK for a helmet light, but could use more throw. IMHO a 20mm reflector with XM-L is going to give a bit more throw.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Interesting, I was just thinking about making a 35mm OD housing for 26mm optics and as light as possible.

Possible use: single Cree XHP50
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

Quote Originally Posted by zemike View Post
    Interesting, I was just thinking about making a 35mm OD housing for 26mm optics and as light as possible.

Glad to hear you're still in the game and a new housing could be in the cards.

My 35mm with MT-G2 is still by far my favorite bar light at the moment. If you made the metal front and back standard rather than an upgrade it would be an even better product!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Sounds very intersting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I really like my M36 A lot. I did get the metal front back upgrade and use a different switch that is aluminum. I am probably the only one running a M36 with a cree MK-R and a 2nd generation B-flex with 4 cell battery. The early Bflex like the one I am using only go up to 1A. The input voltage and output voltage are very close meaning the Bflex is very efficient. The MK-R is nearly 200 lumens per watt at 350ma even in warm bins and at 1 amp easily over a thousand. The large 35mm optic makes a very nice even beam that is tight enought. Only thing I would really want to change is to have a newer bflex so I could turn up the current to 1.5A as it stays quite cool.

I am waiting to see some XHP beam shots, ideally the whole xhp family and not just xhp50 but the 50 is probably the most relevant. The 50 comes in a 12v variant that would be a drop in replacement for my mk-r.

Of course to confuse things further I would not be surprised to see nice results form a triple xq-e in the 20mm.

mtbr member

It seems like the 2-LED format is pretty hot right now. The Yinding light thread is the biggest ever on MTBR lights. A similar body with better thermal mass and room for an l-flex or b-flex may be of interest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah - I've checked that light out several times - but can't pull the trigger - I've got several small format twin housings I can build in.

My biggest thing is that I'm wanting a helmet setup with max output for when I need it, and I don't want a lot of battery weight on my helmet.

2S1P pack (or my current 1s2p) is about as heavy as I want to do, and even with good Panny 3400's that would only give a ~1hr runtime on high.