Older Marwi Nightpro - Upgrade- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Older Marwi Nightpro - Upgrade

I bought an old set of Nightpros and the 6volt battery is pooched. I'm looking to get a new replacement battery from the local battery shop for $16. Or should I get a larger battery and upgrade the existing 6v12w bulbs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Not familiar with the Marwi lights. If they are just a On/Off then I would suggest going with a 7.2 volt battery. Higher voltage will increase lumens and whiten the color of the light.
    If you light is one of those that have multiple setting then the additional voltage could fry the circuits. So on/off go 7.2, multiple brightness settings stick with the 6 volt and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    It is basically 2 - 6V12W halogen bulbs with at 6V rechargable battery. I can use 1 or 2 lights. I was wondering if 12V bulbs and a 12V battery would double my brightness. And would the larger battery double in weight?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Your brightness won't vary. A 10 watt 6 volt and a 10 watt 12 volt will have the same light output. To increase brightness you need to over volt the system. So 6 volt bulbs with 7.2 volt batteries or 12 volt lights with 13.2 volt batteries.
    If the lights are simple on/off switch then just get some 7.2 volt batteries and enjoy the extra light.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks man.

www.hahntronix.com
    If you overvolt your bulbs you will decrease how long they burn. The decrease in life expectancy curve is kind of exponential so a 20% increase in voltage (7.2 volts for a 6 volt bulb) means your bulbs only last 1/8th as long. The actual amount may be less, I couldn't find the reference I used to have for this. But figure way less than the 1000 hours they were originally rated at.

If you have a source of cheap bulbs and can figure out how to take your lights apart to replace the bulbs, then no worries, jump to 7.2 volts. It might be good idea to always carry a spare bulb.

Mark

mtbr member
    My two cents....before going LED I was running a Marwi 6volt bar lamp. Not a bad system if I do say so. Along the way I decided to over-volt as has been suggested. Output increases at least 20%. Bulb life will shorten though. When over-volting it is best to buy the replacement bulb before the current bulb blows. That way you have no down time. I also suggest that you buy the Marwi bulbs as they are better quality and will be brighter. Warning: Don't buy cheap halogen bulbs from on-line marketers, even if they claim to sell the Marwi brand. They will sometimes switch out another cheaper brand without telling you. Just take my word on it, not all halogen bulbs are created equal. This is one of the reasons I just gave up on halogen. If you over-volt with a 7.2 volt 4000mah Li-ion battery the light might not work. This is because of the PCB protection built into the battery to protect it from too much surge current ( and from over discharge ) In order to make it work right you will probably have to use a 6000mah Li-ion battery which has a larger surge current allowance built into the PCB. Mine worked fine with the 6000mah BatterySpace battery. Of course if you use a NiMh battery you won't have the current surge problem that the Li-ion's have but the NiMh's are a bit heavier. With all this said...I really suggest buying the cheapest 200+lumen LED light you can find rather than messing with the halogens. When I bought my first Dinotte 200L, it was way more brighter than my 12watt Marwi halogen.

Carbon8er
    I have converted several of the Marwi halogen lights to the P7 LED.

They are blowing away my HID systems and so the HID's will be going on Ebay.

I am running two of the P7 lights on my Helmet and Bars. They are unbelievably bright.

Additional pluses to the P7 lights:
    The lights themselves are half the weight of all my HID's, which makes a huge difference for helmet mounted lights.

The Lion battery packs are way lighter than the NiMh packs that are used with halogen and HID systems since you use 3.6V batteries in parallel, not in series.

You can add as many 3.6 Lions in parallel as you need for longer burn times if you have a proper charger.

The light color itself is closer to natural daylight than halogen or HID. It is a very nice white color. Halogen is real yellow looking. HID looks blue next to the P7's.

I have a web site with conversion info if you are interested. See my signature below for the link

Hack Racer
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=363044

is what I did with a Marwi NitePro

Carbon8er
    Nice!
    I have never modded the later style Marwi lights.
    I'll have to give it a go.

thanks for the info

Members who have read this thread: 0