Old DIY-er, new questions...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Old DIY-er, new questions...

Hi guys
    I was a regular on here a few years ago but havenít made any bike lights for a few years. My current lights are a 7-up XM-L, in a 3+1+3 format, 3a (taskLED HBFlex) and a double XM-L 3a (b3Flex).

Iím looking to do a couple of new lights as Iíd like to reduce the weight of my current ones and have the bug to make something new. Iím a CNC programmer so have access to CAD and various lathes/5-axis mills etc so housings are not a problem.

So, new LEDísÖIs there anything newer/better than the XM-L? Have been looking at the XM-L2 and XP-L but canít really see much difference between them (I was more of a machinist than electrician so struggled on the electrical side of things).
    Also, the double is currently being powered by a 7.5v 2.6aH li-ion and Iím thinking about using one of the triple XM-Lís I have for this one so believe I would need another HBFlex.
    I'm after a good flood for the bars and decent throw for the helmet light.
    Finally, for now, what sort of tint would you guys recommend? Current ones are U21D and do seem a little cold.
    Any idea or input would be great

Cheers
    Steve

mtbr member
    Really like the more neutral tints. Much easier on the eyes.
    XM-L2 U2 3C has worked well for me. Running in a dual helmet light.
    Triple XM-L2 T6 3A on the bars with a B3Flex.

For more throw, take a look at the XP-L Hi Intensity.
    I just ordered one of these, have yet to decide what to build with it.
    (3) CREE XP-L High-Intensity U5 5000K LEDs on NOCTIGON 3XP MCPCB + PRE-BRIDGED

RAKC
    Fourtrax, you must be the one that grabbed the last one right when I realized I only order one not 2

Xm-l2= more output and more efficient than previous XML. 3c and 3c are favorites for neutral tints. I like both, on optics though hard to see a difference in the tints. 3c comes in a higher bin.

Xp-l is a xp-g2 but with xm-l2 die stuffed in it instead. Difficult to use with optics as xml-l2 optics are a bit big and xp-g2 optics dont fit the xp-l domes. The HI versions though work perfect with xp-g2 optics (and obviously xp-l either version works pretty well fine with any xp-g2 reflector set up) Xp-l is the most efficient on light versus heat generation of all 3 options. And highest output overall.

Ian actually new to building lights from scratch but modding cheaper lights has been fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Fourtrax, you must be the one that grabbed the last one right when I realized I only order one not 2
    I think you are right. There was only 1 left when I added it to the cart! I am thinking of maybe building a self contained light like the Exposure lights.

RAKC
    Ya was probably right after I ordered it and more optics, looked at my confirmation, went back to grab the second and gone. DAMN U!!! Lol. My mj880 clone mod is on g2s right now, wanted to see how these compared to see if worth the expense over g2s

mtbr member
    The XP-L HI looks like a good option, especially for a helmet light where throw is needed. I seem to remember the XP-G being a good thrower so, if the optics work ok, this could be good news.