Not really a bike light but....- Mtbr.com
    aka RossC

Not really a bike light but....

Hey all,

I am about to do a 100k charity hike called the oxfam trail walker. I will ultimately go out and buy a nice shiny new princeton tec apex head torch but I got to thinking what I could DIY to make hiking in rough terrain easier at night.

This afternoon I knocked together a 2x R2 belt light. Basically, it will be attatched to my belt and be pointing at my feet all the time so that you don't have to walk along with my head torch pointing at my feet all night.

Since I was knocking it together out of parts I had lying around, it is 2 x R2 in parrallel running off a cheapo DX driver. I am using a 6 AA battery pack to power it and some cheap wide angle DX optics (I can't remember the link for them at this point).

It is all squished up in a 1 inch AL tube with holes drilled for the optics. Will post pics soon.

Just thought I would share the DIY light bug

aka RossC
    This thread really is worthless without a piccy so here is:

Now does anyone out there have any ideas how to mount it??? I was thinking a strip of velcro glued to the back and some kind of velcro sleeve to go over the waist belt of my hiking bag. Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Cool that Ross.
    Might be better fixed to your chest strap if your hiking bag has one
    as your chest overhangs your waist you might get a better light on the ground .

Velcro is probably the best

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    Cool that Ross.
    Might be better fixed to your chest strap if your hiking bag has one
    as your chest overhangs your waist you might get a better light on the ground .

Velcro is probably the best
    Cheers Troutie,

i was half thinking about attaching one of these so you could just clip it onto the chest strap but wasn't sure if it was going to be too dodgy. Thoughts?

Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean breathes salty
    Since I was knocking it together out of parts I had lying around, it is 2 x R2 in parrallel running off a cheapo DX driver. I am using a 6 AA battery pack to power it and some cheap wide angle DX optics (I can't remember the link for them at this point).
    Does that mean each emitter is seeing 400mA?

Isn't it too bright for walking?

Members who have read this thread: 0