Noob LED question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

New question here. Noob LED question

I'm building up a pair of dual cree lights using buckpucks with the LEDS in series. I'm wondering if it will work to wire in a 3 position switch so that there is off, one LED (spread) and both LEDs. I'm assuming the single LED position would have to bypass the spot beam LED.

Will this work or will I just fry something?

I ride a Swarf
    You are correct in that you can by pass the LED to switch one off. The Bypass switch will have to be capable of taking the current. Not sure if the buckpuck will complain.

I personaly wouldn't do it this way if the buckpuck as the variable current control pot input. I would use that. If you use a potential divider (2 resistor in place of a POT) set to give the dimmed brightness level, then use the bypass switch across one of the resistors (the one that when shorted gives full brightness).

This way you can set half power, but have more than half brightness, or set half brightness and use less than half power.

This way means your switch doesn;y need to carry very much current and I know the buck puck will be fine with it.

LEDs are more efficient when used at lower currensts, so using 2 at lower current is more efficient than using one at higher current to get the same brightness.

Is it the Luxdrive 3021 series of buck pucks?

EDIT the more I think about the less I like the LED bypass.....when switching from 2 to 1 the single LED will momentarilty be exposed to twices its normal voltage....which may blow the LED.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the help. I chose the plain 3023 (wired but no dimmer) to keep it simple and cheap. I don't really need to dim them as I'll have plenty of battery power- it was just a thought since I'd be putting a switch in anyway I wondered if it might be nice and simple to be able to select 1 or 2 LED operation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have done this. I will try to recall how I did it and draw up the schematic for you. I know I used a DPDT (center off) switch where one side of it was the power and the other altered the circuit from a one LED, to a two LED series circuit. I was using a DownBoy buckpuck driver which should work about like a 3023. My original Dual Luxeon V bike light was wired this way.

Members who have read this thread: 0