Niterider Trail Rat Plug Polarity- Mtbr.com

Sep 2008

Niterider Trail Rat Plug Polarity

Sorry to ask, but I can't find this on this site. I don't know my exact model but my plug has 3 connectors on a press-fit, non-twist plug. My battery is a triangle stack of 3 cells with a plastic case around it, not a bottle or bag. My cord is straight not coiled and I purchased it around 4 years ago. I lost my charger and don't want to buy a new one cause my battery may be dead too. I called Niterider and got the specs for the slow charger. I never throw out a transformer so I had one that matches the correct output. I figure I'll try to charge the old battery and if it works I'll pop for a real charger. I can't get a reading from the battery cable to tell me the polarity of the plug. The posts I've found refer to the DIY faq in the upper right hand corner of any page. I can't see it - might be blind - set me straight if so. Here's a basic layout of the plug. If anyone can tell me what they should connect to please fill me in. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Hi carbuncle, if the battery is so dead that you can't get a reading with a multimeter then it may be to dead to charge. You may have to open the plastic case and follow the wires to find out where they come from at least if it dosn't charge you can replace the 3 cells while it's open.

Sep 2008

Dead possibly

Yeah I started in on opening the case and hit those freakin tamperproof torx screws. I'm about to chuck the whole mess but there's something about a lost cause, waste of time and money P.O.S. that I can't help but take as a challenge. I figure I'll be $40 bucks and 4 hours in before I know if it even works.... count me in!

mtbr member
    four years is a long time for any battery and if it hasn't had a charge for a very long time, at least every few months then it's going to be either replace the cells in the plastic box with the horrible screws or buy a whole new battery.

Good luck.

Sep 2008
    Thanks, I'll at least keep the light and wire it something else. The light is good and tough.

mtbr member
    Keep the wire and plug and have a look at AllBattery.com and BatterySpace.com It might be cheaper than Niterider.

Sep 2008

Used better meter.

I used the meter at work, a digital, and it showed me the polarity. I guess its time to ditch my old meter. Don't know what the third connection point does so I'm slow charging it on the 2 points I could figure. Like you said, chances are they're beyond help anyhow. Thanks for your help. I've attached what I found. I also corrected the plug shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Which way? Uphill.
    I had a trail rat battery that was extremely depleted (bought it on clearance, hadn't been charged for years).

At first it would only run for a few minutes before being dead, I contacted niterider and they said keep trying 5-7 charge cycles and if that didn't bring you back up to full cycle times then they would replace it. Well it took about 4 cycles and I finally busted past the 5 minute run times and now have 2+ hour run times.

So if at first try it doesn't come back all that well, try again several more times to make sure.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

Sep 2008
    Last night I charged it for 4 hrs and got 25 mins out of it so that looks promising. I dremeled a male plug out of 12/3 romex and hot glued it together. I'll revisit the plug later but for now I have a 1/2 night ride to do tonight. I hope to get an hour out of it for the 9 hour charge I give it today. That's cool that you can massage it back to life like that. It gives me hope. Thanks

Sep 2008
    Got 2 hours out of that old battery. It's only the second charge since I unearthed it to. Looks like I'm back in business.

Members who have read this thread: 0