NiteRider Headtrip Battery Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

NiteRider Headtrip Battery Question

I have a 6V Digital Headtrip from 2000 with the micro-brute charger. (From the photo on the Niterider web site, it is a “first generation” connector.) I only use it a few times each winter.

I am having two problems. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I am wondering if they are related.

First, the cable has a poor connection to the battery. I often have to fiddle with the cable once plugged in, to get it to actually work. Sometimes it goes out while I am riding, and I have to stop and fiddle with it. The problem is happening more often.

The other problem is: The light itself seems to work fine, although I do not use it for particularly long rides. Lately, the fuel gage is wacky: When I plug the light into the (fully charged) battery, I see all the fuel gauge LED’s flash quickly, then the red and one green comes on briefly (not normal) and then the light goes out (normal).

When I actually use the light, the red stays on continuously, and the only one green is on at a time, but it constantly moves from one green to another. It’s this way the whole time I ride, so I have no idea how much charge I have.

I also own the companion light: 6V Niteowl for my bars which uses essentially the same battery. When I plug the Niteowl battery into the Headtrip cable, the gauge works normally. So I am pretty sure the problem is the battery, not the cable/light.

Is there an easy fix? Should I ignore it?

I saw in the reviews that Niterider’s customer service got poor grades. Any suggestions for contacting them?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have basically the same light and bought this here: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2197
    If you have the original battery than it's 6 years old or older. IMO you should donate it to the garbage (or recycle it) and for $60 get a better battery and better charger.

You will have to splice in the new battery to the old connector which takes about 5 minutes. Go to radio shack and for $2.99 get a package of shrink wrap and some connectors.

You can also take the lamp apart to make sure everything is clean and well connected inside the light. While you're at battery space pick yourself up a $3 replacement bulb.

So for about $75 you have a new higher power battery, a new smart charger, and a replacement bulb.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Since we're talking about the Digital Headtrip, it's a common problem with the signal wire from the "Smartbattery" to lose connection with the lamphead. This causes the digital circuitry to become confused. If you replace your "Smartbattery" with a normal 6V battery pack, you will continue to have these problems with the green LED sweeping back and forth as well as the light switching off at random times.

The "fix" is really just to take apart the "Smartbattery" and check the connection of the signal wire. If you choose to replace the battery, you have to include one of two additional steps. The first option is to bypass the digital circuitry inside the lamphead. The second option is to remove the chip from the "Smartbattery" and solder it to the new battery.

Nov 2006

Head trip problems

I have an old head trip as well. I went to Batteryspace and ordered up 2 packs of 6v 4200mAh and a smart charger. I soldered up the old lead to the new pack no problem and after about an hour the stinking light got so hot it shut down ??? So not sure what to do. Most likley I will just bypass it and go direct to the lamp.

But if you are a tinker check this out: http://www.trailheadlights.com/
    Iam planing on buying a twin controler to make a dual bar setup.
    http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=3045
    P7040003.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CharT
    Since we're talking about the Digital Headtrip, it's a common problem with the signal wire from the "Smartbattery" to lose connection with the lamphead. This causes the digital circuitry to become confused. If you replace your "Smartbattery" with a normal 6V battery pack, you will continue to have these problems with the green LED sweeping back and forth as well as the light switching off at random times.

The "fix" is really just to take apart the "Smartbattery" and check the connection of the signal wire. If you choose to replace the battery, you have to include one of two additional steps. The first option is to bypass the digital circuitry inside the lamphead. The second option is to remove the chip from the "Smartbattery" and solder it to the new battery.

I had this exact problem. I did not know about the signal wire knowed problem and I replaced the battery and I put back the chip on the new battery without any success.

How can I check the connection of the signal wire (I am electronicly ignorant), do I need to open the small paper tube?

Or how can I bypass the digital circuity?

BTW my light is a Digital Evo.

Thanks a lot for your help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    It's been a while since I looked at this digital stuff. I'm not an electrician or anything but you could use a multimeter or circuit tester to check the connections. I've only had past success with repairing the analog Niterider systems as those are just a simple mechanical switch wired to a lightbulb. Good luck to you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Nobody has instruction on how to bypass the digital chip in the headlamp?

thanks in advance.

Members who have read this thread: 0