nflex/bflex-how are you getting on with it?- Mtbr.com
    I ride a Swarf

nflex/bflex-how are you getting on with it?

hi bikelightophiles

As the title says.

any reliability issue?

I didn't realise they were so feature rich. looks like a sweet unit.

for their price there is no point doing my own circuit.

Stu
    Last edited by Stuart B; 05-05-2007 at 05:58 AM. Reason: typo
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi Stuart
    bFlex has amazing interface and very rugged -took me many dunkings in water ,shorting and solder/desolders to blow my first one up.

Cheers
    Dom

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Are you guys leaving your button where it is on the board, or taking it off and hooking it up to a more rugged external button? I'm assuming we're all pretty much making bike lights with it.

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by poobardog
    Hi Stuart
    bFlex has amazing interface and very rugged -took me many dunkings in water ,shorting and solder/desolders to blow my first one up.

Cheers
    Dom
    Cool,

Just ordered a couple of nFlexes.....the only stock thing on my cateyes are going to be the housings soon hehe.

Stu

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Stu -the button was designed like that for flashlight applications i think.
    I use a SMT tact switch - NO (Normally Open) type mounted on the housing and will make a remote one in the future.
    These are very small and some are water resistant
    http://tinyurl.com/3auhvy

You can get these at Digikey and places like that.

Hey Stuart -it's great that we can make such a high power,economical light for pretty cheap.
    Not often that high-end stuff is available to the masses.
    Cheers
    Dom

I ride a Swarf
    One thing I am going to have to be careful of is making sure the LED is connected before power on. I just read in the manual that the output cap could be damaged if power is applied before the LED is connected. The reason I say this is that I intend to use the cayeye head and its wiring. The stock switch is in the molded lead. The cateye controller is on the battery and copes with this setup.

Stu

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    I’ve had my nFlex for three years now, and I haven’t had a single problem with it. Obviously being that old mine doesn’t have the bike orientated user interface, I still haven’t got around to getting a newer nFlex / bFlex.

Originally George at TaskLED recommended bonding a small heat sink to U1 if / when I was pushing it towards the maximum specifications for long periods of time, but it seems to have proven unnecessary. I think that was when it was reasonably unproven with higher loads.

As it’s turned out I’ve actually killed a couple of home made regulators, and have always fallen back to the trusty nFlex. It’s survived my abuse in lights and on the test bench, it’s definitely a keeper!

Currently I do have mine in a waterproof housing, with an external waterproof momentary switch. And yes, most constant current switchers dislike their load being removed!

Dave.

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    And yes, most constant current switchers dislike their load being removed!

Dave.
    yeah...its like trying to stop peeing once you have started

Thanks for the feedback.

Stu

I ride a Swarf
    my 2 nflex units turned up...they is nice

the programming interface takes a little thought, but easy enough once used to it.

Stu

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    You’ll get used to it pretty quickly. It’s a fantastic interface when you think about the navigation structure and the adjustments you can make through a single button.

It’s one of the easiest that I’ve used so far!

Dave.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Grrr double post! Might as well make the most of it!

Have you decided on how you’re going to run them in your lights yet? Are you going to use it as a simple on / off controller, or use the UI to set a few brightness levels? Have you thought about how you’re going to use a switch yet?

I think you should have a few mounting / cabling / switching options depending on how you want things set up.

Dave.
    Last edited by Low_Rider; 05-14-2007 at 12:45 AM.

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    Grrr double post! Might as well make the most of it!

Have you decided on how you’re going to run them in your lights yet? Are you going to use it as a simple on / off controller, or use the UI to set a few brightness levels? Have you thought about how you’re going to use a switch yet?

I think you should have a few mounting / cabling / switching options depending on how you want things set up.

Dave.
    So far I have made it so I can use new ow old setups. I am leaving the cateye battery/conreoller pack untouched, and using the LiIons from my HID with the new controller, Multi level is a requirement, shame to use these loverly LEDs that like being tickled and not have the abiltiy to dim when needed.

I have started another thread on a housing based on copper pipe fittings. I found it on CPF, but have seen it before on the singletrack workd forum.

So I may actually at last be going the whole hog in DIY lightyness hehe.

Stu

mtbr member
    I just received my bflex's in the mail, and although I haven't had a chance to test them out (still waiting on a few parts to show up) I've got to give props to George at TaskLED.

He answered all of my e-mail questions typically within 15 minutes, he did an impeccable job packing them, and (without being asked to) he even listed them as a gift with a value of $20 for shipping to Canada. For those of you that don't know the pain of shipping to Canada, that saved me a bunch of money on duty and brokerage fees.
    Just based on my dealings with him during ordering and shipping, as long as his product works as good as it should (as it sounds like it will from all of the accolades around here), I wouldn't hesistate to recommend his product to anyone.

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by x-ker
    I just received my bflex's in the mail, and although I haven't had a chance to test them out (still waiting on a few parts to show up) I've got to give props to George at TaskLED.

He answered all of my e-mail questions typically within 15 minutes, he did an impeccable job packing them, and (without being asked to) he even listed them as a gift with a value of $20 for shipping to Canada. For those of you that don't know the pain of shipping to Canada, that saved me a bunch of money on duty and brokerage fees.
    Just based on my dealings with him during ordering and shipping, as long as his product works as good as it should (as it sounds like it will from all of the accolades around here), I wouldn't hesistate to recommend his product to anyone.
    yeah he is very good at answering mails quickly. I will use him again. I really like the nflex now I am familar with it.

Stu

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart B
    yeah he is very good at answering mails quickly. I will use him again. I really like the nflex now I am familar with it.

Stu
    I give George top marks for his responsiveness too. The bFlex is a great product.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Not to threadjack, but now that there is the same firmware/UI for for both nFlex and bFlex, what's the reason to use one over the other? I've asked on the forums over there but there's more people listening over here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Round vs. square

Quote Originally Posted by Praxis
    Not to threadjack, but now that there is the same firmware/UI for for both nFlex and bFlex, what's the reason to use one over the other? I've asked on the forums over there but there's more people listening over here.

I may be wrong, but I think the main difference is the nFlex is square and the bFlex is round

I ride a Swarf
    yeah one is round (BFLEX) the other is rectangular (NFLEX).

I asked georges if that was all when i ordered mine....he said pretty much hehe.

Stu

Members who have read this thread: 0