New light taking shape...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New light taking shape...

Started on my new bar light. Still a bit to do to get some extra cooling fins and weight reduction but it's getting there.
    Plan is 2 x XHP70 in series driven by a HBFlex @ 2.5a. Ledil IRIS optics..

New light taking shape...-imag0293%5B1%5D.jpg
    New light taking shape...-imag0294%5B1%5D.jpgNew light taking shape...-imag0295%5B1%5D.jpg

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    2 x XHP70 will be a lot of light for sure! Wondering why the choice of series driven with HBFlex... is that because you already had those parts? If you're starting from scratch 2 x 6V XHP70s in parallel with an H6Flex would probably be a bit more efficient.

mtbr member
    is that because you already had those parts?
    Yes, trying to save a bit of money and already have a 15v battery and HBFlex. Would rather use what I've got than have to pay out for new batteries etc although I do have another couple of lights I'm working on and will need bits for those too.
    Out of interest, what battery would I need for a H6Flex?

The driver will be mounted on the underside of the big finned piece, hopefully to improve airflow to help keep it cool.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    If that 15V battery is actually 4S lithium ion then its really 16.8V max or 14.4V nominal. I'm assuming your XHP70s are 12V based on the configuration you mentioned, yes? 12V XHP70s want 2.4A each, so in parallel you could drive them with an H6flex at say 5000mA (slightly over driven, but no big deal) or 3600mA if you wanted to run cooler. The h6flex would be fine powered by your existing battery.

edit: Just a correction on my initial comment on 2 x 6V XHP70 in parallel. I realized that's not an ideal combination because 6V version wants 4.8A max... so two in parallel would want 9.6A which is more than the 6.6A that a H6flex can supply. You could put two 6V XHP70 in series and then they would want 4.8A max @ 12V which would work fine with H6flex.

mtbr member
    My battery is a 4s2p 5.2aH one. Thanks for the info, I'll look into it a bit more...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nice machining! Does look a bit chunky, but it's much easier to work with something strong. Sometimes working with super thin and light pieces, I spend more time figuring out how to hold it without crushing/warping that I do cutting. Did you drill or plunge mill the radial fins around the optics before milling the profile or are you on a 4 or 5 axis machine?
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Thanks! All done on the 5 axis machine at work. It's just over 300g which is lighter than the old 7up XML. I'll get this one working but I think I could save quite a bit of weight. Might be a mk 2 version eventually..

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta View Post
    ......Might be a mk 2 version eventually..
    That's usually how it goes!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Wow that is going to be a lot of light. I know because I just built an easy2ledM36 with xhp70 and h6flex. I am using the same battery (18650 cells in 4s2p) by the way and have no trouble but of course your going to be double the current draw.

The iris I have tried is listed as for the cree mc-e not the new part number listed for the xhp70 and it was not good at all. Huge dark donut. Tons of light in the middle and a lot of spill but its a big dark hole in between.

I am hoping you get better results as I will then get a new iris.

The ledil 35mm reflector I am now using is a bit floody but at lease there is no dark ring, its a nice beam really. Of course is does not hurt that with 4K lumens a huge flood still works.

I still have a ledil eva optic that is 35mm and worked great with the cree mk-r, maybe I will give it a try.

A neat configuration would be a 12volt xhp70 and a b3flex with 5s battery. The input and output voltages would then be rather close and the b3flex would be running very efficient.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Fraen 35mm narrow reflector for the MC-E looks like it will work really well with the XHP70 based on a test setup in the shop.

mtbr member
    Couldn't find any of the Fraen ones unfortunately but was lucky enough to get some free Iris lenses to have a play with.

mtbr member

Mk2 started..

So I've been doing some other bits for myself this week and had an hour on Mk2. Just done the front profile, LED pockets and driver port for now but should be a fair bit more compact and lighter.
    New light taking shape...-imag0321.jpgNew light taking shape...-imag0322.jpg

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm It's alive

Finally got around to finishing this off as I had a bit of a delay in getting some of the bits.

All up and running nicely.

Ended up going with 2 x XHP70 series 6V being driven, for now, at 5a from a H6Flex driver. Casing seems to be handling the heat very well :-)
    There's Ledil IRIS optics which, in the garden, give a nice beam, will try and do some beamshots.
    New light taking shape...-imag0985%5B1%5D.jpg

I also had a bit of spare time to do the new helmet light. Had an old Magicshine housing lying around so thought I'd give that a go.
    Increased the surface are a bit, bored out the internals to take a pilled HBFlex and made a new mount adapter.
    It's got a quad XPL-Hi board with Ledil GT4 optic running at 3a.
    New light taking shape...-imag0982%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Very nice Steve !!
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY HEY ITS HENDO View Post
    Very nice Steve !!
    Cheers Grah

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta View Post
    Finally got around to finishing this off as I had a bit of a delay in getting some of the bits.

All up and running nicely.

Ended up going with 2 x XHP70 series 6V being driven, for now, at 5a from a H6Flex driver. Casing seems to be handling the heat very well :-)
    There's Ledil IRIS optics which, in the garden, give a nice beam, will try and do some beamshots.

I also had a bit of spare time to do the new helmet light. Had an old Magicshine housing lying around so thought I'd give that a go.
    Increased the surface are a bit, bored out the internals to take a pilled HBFlex and made a new mount adapter.
    It's got a quad XPL-Hi board with Ledil GT4 optic running at 3a.
    Nice! Post some beamshots of the quad if you have the opportunity please.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Nice! Post some beamshots of the quad if you have the opportunity please.
    Will do my best...not my strong point though, beamshots

I've got a Cute-4 SS (for XR-E) on the way and, looking at the specs, I'm hoping it'll blow the GT4 out of the water for throw.

mtbr member
    Cute-4 SS (XR-E) arrived today from LED-Tech.
    Just done a back to back comparison and there's a clear winner for a helmet optic. The Cute is much tighter and much brighter than the GT4.
    Only phone pics and the ceiling is about 4m away, 4 x XPL-Hi @ 2a. Each ceiling panel is 4' long.
    Ledil GT4
    New light taking shape...-imag1025%5B1%5D.jpg
    Ledil Cute-4 SS
    New light taking shape...-imag1026%5B1%5D.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New light taking shape...-output_9gla09.jpg