New build - XM-L or XP-G?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New build - XM-L or XP-G?

After lurking here for months, I'm finally ready to start a new helmet light to replace my Magicshine and older NiteRider. I'm going to start with a two LED build using a Hammond 1455 case and have a bag of 18650s pulled from laptop batteries for power. I'm also going to use screws for assembly so I can make changes to the build if necessary (or if new optics become available). A while ago I was set on XP-G/b2flex/Reginas, but now I'm having a hard time deciding between XP-G and XM-L, and if XM-L whether to go with the h6flex and which optics to use. If you were starting a new helmet light what would you use and why?:
    XP-G or XM-L?
    If XM-L, then b2flex or h6flex, and which optics?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Do you want more throw, flood or a mix of the two for a helmet light?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I want more throw for the helmet light. When I'm done with this one, I'll build another one for the bars with more flood.

Do It Yourself
    What's the area of the Hammond case? You may not have enough to dissipate the heat of two XML at full power. I would probably just get the b2flex anyway.
    Long Live Long Rides

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    For a thrower, mos def XP-G + Regina.

For the bars however, XM-L could be OK.

Disclaimer: I have played with XM-L and different optics today, and was a little disappointed with the lack of throw.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Good point. I do have a half-brick heatsink I can use to add ~20 sq. in. of surface area to the housing if necessary.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Which optics were you using with the XM-L?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well can do like what I did and build for XPG because the right XML optics aren't out yet. Can always swap XML later into the housing for $25-30 max. Given you have the proper driver 1st time around.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by natac
    Which optics were you using with the XM-L?
    Tried Regina, Boom SS (for MC-E) and some 26,5mm Carclo lenses for MC-E.

I ground down the base of both the Regina and Boom, but still the hotspot of XP-G + Regina was significantly brighter.

If only Ledil could make a narrow and medium Regina-ish reflector for XML

mtbr member
    This thing about throw and flood is in my opinion now a bit outdated .
    we now have the lumen power at our disposal to build killer lights that dont have a hot spot .just total trail ilumination .

I have just had a wasted hour out in the woods doing some test shots with

2 XML / Laura and 3 XML cute ss set ups and also a triple XGP Cute ss
    only to find when I got back that the CF card had suffered a glitch and no pics on it

anyways after I took the failed shots I had a play around just to asess which light I prefered .

The 2 XML/Laura was very sweet with good throw and spill as good throw as the twin Regina I tried but with out the sharp cut off at the edges
    and a light I would be delighted to use on either bars or helmet .

the Triple cute XML was even nicer for the bars with good distance and width with no very hot spot very restfull on the eyes

the triple XPG Cute had a tighter beam and hotter centre but not as nice as the other 2

My bet is that when Cutters do the promised triple board for the cute ss optic that it will be the weapon of choice of a lot of builders on here who want a great light .

Sorry for the failure to get the pics to back up the words
    I can see why Mtbmacgyver was so happy with his triple cute xml

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That's good feedback, Troutie, thanks. Are you using the XP-G RS version of the Laura? Also, from the Ledil data sheets, the Laura looks a lot like the CXP. Have you noticed any difference between the Laura and CXP in use?

Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    we now have the lumen power at our disposal to build killer lights that dont have a hot spot .just total trail ilumination .

I have just had a wasted hour out in the woods doing some test shots with

2 XML / Laura and 3 XML cute ss set ups and also a triple XGP Cute ss
    only to find when I got back that the CF card had suffered a glitch and no pics on it

anyways after I took the failed shots I had a play around just to asess which light I prefered .

The 2 XML/Laura was very sweet with good throw and spill as good throw as the twin Regina I tried but with out the sharp cut off at the edges
    and a light I would be delighted to use on either bars or helmet .

the Triple cute XML was even nicer for the bars with good distance and width with no very hot spot very restfull on the eyes

the triple XPG Cute had a tighter beam and hotter centre but not as nice as the other 2

My bet is that when Cutters do the promised triple board for the cute ss optic that it will be the weapon of choice of a lot of builders on here who want a great light .

Sorry for the failure to get the pics to back up the words
    I can see why Mtbmacgyver was so happy with his triple cute xml

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I agree with this but more towards the upper limit of possible scenarios. You can now push almost 3000 lumens out of a triple LED setup don't don't cost $20+ each. But it comes at the cost of bigger housings for the optics, more heatsinking and bigger batteries to sustain that 30+ w/h pull running 3up at 3amp. Considering the majority of people I see here run those small 3up 20mm XP-G setups, it'll still be an important question for most people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3
    I agree with this but more towards the upper limit of possible scenarios. You can now push almost 3000 lumens out of a triple LED setup don't don't cost $20+ each. But it comes at the cost of bigger housings for the optics, more heatsinking and bigger batteries to sustain that 30+ w/h pull running 3up at 3amp. Considering the majority of people I see here run those small 3up 20mm XP-G setups, it'll still be an important question for most people.

Good point But I had the Hipflex on multimode and even at the lower levels right down to level 2 it was a rideable light and I guess very efficient on those lower levels .

MR 11 sized lights have been the normal for ages I bet most of the lights on here are smaller than their equivalent main stream lights for the power they are pushing .
    Small will still be beautiful and when the optic makers catch up a single led 1000 lumen will be ace .
    Or as I like to have a possible huge output and the choice to throttle it back just like a car its sometimes fun to open it up .

the triple xpg s and quazzles boards make the diy easy for folks but the optics are not ideal , and this is where we always end up with a new led .
    lots of excitment up to folks getting their hands on them followed by an antclimax untill someone finds the good optic and by this time the next big thing is just over the horizon
    Add infinitum

Natac yes the Laura XPG RS from my trials I like the Laura best for its smoother beam than the CXP and also because it does not have the centre recess it does not need a cover to keep the mud out
    but the CXP has a brighter hot spot

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    That pretty much sums up my opinion as well. Back in the day when we were working with a couple hundred lumens, getting a nice tight beam to focus the light down the trails was pretty important.

With the amount of light available with the latest LEDs, you're going to want to spread that light out over a wider area. Otherwise, you're going to create a very brightly lit small area surrounded by darkness. Your eyes are going to adjust to the small bright area and it's going to feel like riding in a tunnel.

I don't think many people really need the amount of light created by a triple XML running at 3A, or want to carry the batteries to run that much wattage for longer rides. But I've been riding with mine and I really like it running at 1, 1.5 and 2 amps. It makes for an extremely efficient light at those lower currents.

I think the hot ticket is going to be an XML triple running at lower currents most of the time with the ability to really crank it up when needed.

mtbr member
    I think the hot ticket is going to be an XML triple running at lower currents most of the time with the ability to really crank it up when needed.
    ahh this is just what i was thinking too...
    cute triple @ 2 Amps on a 3S2P battery
    is your test jig still wired up MtbMac?
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by langen
    I ground down the base of both the Regina and Boom, but still the hotspot of XP-G + Regina was significantly brighter.
    I did a little different mod of the Regina last night, and I managed to get almost identical beams from XPG and XML, both @ 1A.

So:
    Lack of throw is not an excuse not to use XML!

mtbr member
    What did you do to the regina?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by langen
    I did a little different mod of the Regina last night, and I managed to get almost identical beams from XPG and XML, both @ 1A.

So:
    Lack of throw is not an excuse not to use XML!
    Spill the beans!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dawg
    Spill the beans!!!

humm if thats the case then sounds like just too much light/bounce for the regina to handle XML at full power. Maybe a longer version will control the light spread better.

Dirt Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    What's the area of the Hammond case?
    It's about 19.1 square inches.
    I think it would most likely need additional sinking if it were run at full power. It should be about perfect with a b2Flex though.
    I added a heatsink to the top of my 2 xpg hammond build. At 1.5 amps it actually does pretty good.
    Takes a few minutes to trip at 60c.
    I need to do a more scientific test though.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dawg
    Spill the beans!!!
    Hehe..

Turns out I was a little quick to proclaim the Holy Grail.

I was initially disappointed with the Regina, but I hadnīt shaved off enough of the base. Iīve just shaved off more of the base so that no silver is left, and the beam improved greatly.
    What I did yesterday was take off the 2 pins completely and open the hole up to 6,5-7mm. That way the emitter sits in the hole.
    The drilled and the shaved Regina are maybe 97% within each other wrt beam pattern, slightly in favor of the shaved one. However, I would think that one advantage of the drilled one is that you are sure that the top and bottom of the Regina is parallell with each other.

The modified Regina(s) has a visibly slightly larger hotspot than XPG+Regina, but to me it is still a very good spot optic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Awesome. I just ordered some XMLs, XPGs, reginas, and an H6Flex (gonna salvage a b2Flex from a 20mm 3up that I despise). The XML will be a bar light and the XPG will be a helmet light. Both will be done with 1455 Hammond boxes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am excited about seeing a single LED 900 lumen XML helmet light in the near future. I may have to build one once there are more optics and data about them out there. I would use a piece of fork stanchion for the housing again. They are so nicely machined and and the gold coating is bling. Basically a ultra simple dinotte style light. Throw in a mineral glass retained with a snap ring up front and a nice fork top cap on the back. Ive got a couple worn out no longer ride-able forks to harvest from.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Natac yes the Laura XPG RS from my trials I like the Laura best for its smoother beam
    I'm liking the look of the Laura. Does anyone know of a US source for the Laura XPG RS?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm still trying to find the Laura XPG RS. Does anyone know a US source for this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm still trying to find the Laura XPG RS. Does anyone know a US source for this?
    http://www.newark.com/ledil/ca11353-...pot/dp/84R4752

Dirt Deviant
    Does that come with the holder?
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Does that come with the holder?
    Should
    I don't believe they're sold separately

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Excellent. I have looked at Newark before, but didn't find them. Thank you!

mtbr member

I just checked this and they seem to be getting them from Farnell UK, charging a $20 handling fee as well as postage. Am I getting my wires crossed? Can't find anywhere else (other than a CPF group buy, which is ~$8 inc. postage) by google search, though the search did throw up a lot of Skodas

mtbr member
    You could see if Brum on CPF still has any Laura XPG RS from the group buy
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...cluster-optics

Also these guys in the states, not sure if you can order small quantities.
    http://led-spot.com/category.php?id=28

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger
    You could see if Brum on CPF still has any Laura XPG RS from the group buy
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...cluster-optics

Also these guys in the states, not sure if you can order small quantities.
    http://led-spot.com/category.php?id=28
    Thanks GD - I'd seen the CPF group buy, I just don't want to spend $8+ to try out an optic (ideally anyway). It's a good option if I'm not happy with any combination of Boom SS/ Regina/ CXP-RS that I can get.

I've sent an email to led-spot about ordering small quantities, I'll post back their response

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I sent an email to led-spot last week and haven't received any response. I hope you'll have better luck with them.

mtbr member
    Just received a reply:

"Dear Matt,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    However, we don’t stock Laura regularly, so minimum order quantity of 180pcs is required.
    Price is $1.20/pc. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Best Regards,
    Atsuko Sugahara"

anybody need 179 Laura optics? My wife would kill me, chop me into little pieces and bury me in the veggie patch if I even so much as suggested it

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    As long as I could easily part them out at $2.50ea +shipping then sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3
    As long as I could easily part them out at $2.50ea +shipping then sure.

therein lies the rub Just the thought of going to the post office up to 179 times gives me the willies!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    therein lies the rub Just the thought of going to the post office up to 179 times gives me the willies!
    Heh, I work across the street from one.

mtbr member
    well, if you do get any Lauras, let me know, I'll be in for one!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just got confirmation from Newark on shipment of my order of "CA11353_LAURA-RS-XP-TAPE". They came from a US wharehouse without any special charge from Farnell. They're Newark part number: 84R4752 The website says they have 177 more in stock right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just got confirmation from Newark on shipment of my order of "CA11353_LAURA-RS-XP-TAPE". They came from a US wharehouse without any special charge from Farnell. They're Newark part number: 84R4752 The website says they have 177 more in stock right now.
    I read that too quickly. I thought you said a US whorehouse

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by JezV
    I read that too quickly. I thought you said a US whorehouse
    Oh no, you don't want Laura from a US whorehouse, her lense will be covered in a slippery film that'll really cut down on light output
    Last edited by emu26; 01-25-2011 at 11:47 AM.

mtbr member
    how much did she cost?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    how much did she cost?
    $2.19 each (plus tax and shipping)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    no fun

Members who have read this thread: 0