New battery for an old NR?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New battery for an old NR?

Hello,

I have an old Nite Rider Trail Rat 10W halogen light that i need a battery for. I realize that this is an outdated light but I'm trying to set this up as a bar mount to use with my LED helmet mount. I need to make a new battery to replace the dead lead-acid stock battery. It is a 6V 4.5 Amp-Hr battery.

I was thinking about making a 7.4V 5000 mAh battery using a Luminous DIY 4x compact holder. I realize that I am over-volting and bulb and am aware of the consequences of this.

My question is can this holder be wired in parallel and series to produce the above power?
    Has anyone has done this before?
    How has it worked?
    Or am I better off trying to convert this light to an LED? If so does anyone have a write up on this?

I did a lot of searching but had a hard time finding a concise answer to my questions.

Thanks,
    Winky

mtbr member
    Both my boys rode last night one with a 10w the other a 15w 6volt nightrider halogens using this battery I also use the same battery on my Magicshine lightheads http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion186...bareleads.aspx
    it over powers the lightheads so it is much brighter than with the old batteries so the bulb will not last as long but it brings back life to some shelved lights and I can use my magicshine charger $10
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks,
    It's good to know that this voltage will work with my light.

I am thinking about making a battery with removable cells in a holder like LuminousDIY's. That way I can change the cells if they crap out on me.

Thanks again,

Winky

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Why not just buy a new sealed lead battery for it. My local battery plus has a pretty small 6v and a not so bad 12v. I talked them down to $12 for the 12v and I am sure I could get them down to $8.00 for the 6v. Not a bad price for keeping an old light alive.
    Sometimes your the windshield, other times just the bug. That's life. (c:
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    I am trying to resurrect an old Marwi dual beam halogen light that originally came with a 6v SLA battery. I thought I could just wire two 18650s in series and overvolt it a bit. The trouble is that the voltage drops out after a minute or so. I watched it go from almost 8v to under 4v before I shut it off.

What am I missing?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Running your halogen lights on 2 x 18650s in series should work fine. In a 2S1P setup, 4v means that one or both or your batteries are well under 2.5 volts. If they were not damaged before, they are now & I would not use them again. Similarly it sounds like you are using unprotected batteries so you need to be very careful not to let the flames out.

How did you wire them up ? Soldering directly to the end of the battery, while technically possible comes with a risk of damage to the cells.

Have you thought about updating your Marwi lights to LED - a search of this forum will show its been done plenty of times. One of the easiest ways appears to be via a kit sold by EL34, see his website

mtbr member
    I have the batteries in some ebay battery holders. I wired those in series. Both batteries test at ~3.7v + individually and nearly 8v when run in series. I get nearly 8v when I first turn the light on. Then they drop.

I am a complete noob to this and not very savvy with electronics. What should I do to protect them?

I have a NiteRider Minewt Dual setup and a Trail Rat. I was just trying to get this setup going as a spare. If I get adventurous, I might do an LED conversion. That will be a stretch, though. I have a very busy machine shop to keep running. In fact, if I were to build and LED light, I would likely machine a housing from scratch.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am no expert on Lithium batteries, but the following may help you identify the cause of your problem,

The holders I have seen on ebay claim to have a protection circuit, so your problem could be the cells or it could be the holder & you need to figure out which

Pop the cells out of the holder & test each voltage individually. If either is less than 2.5v, its time for new cells.

If both are over 2.5v, charge them so that each cell is 4.2v, put them in the holder & turn on the light. When the voltage drops, take the cells out of the holder & test the voltage of each.

Adding the voltage of each cell should give you the same voltage as what you measured from the holder. If the cells are reading significantly higher than what you measure off the holder, it sounds like the holder may be faulty.

Members who have read this thread: 0