need some tips on a first light!- Mtbr.com

Oct 2007

need some tips on a first light!

hey guys,

i have a nice machined 1.25 aluminum housing that id like to turn into a bike light. the housing has two lips, so it'll fit a 1.0-1.25 (25mm to 32mm) reflector.

im having trouble deciding what angle reflector i need. this will be a commuter light, it needs to light up the 5ish foot wide bike lane, and id like 200lumen. i can sort out powering it, just need some suggestions on a led and reflector!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Can you post some pictures?
    "Most people don't plan to fail, they fail to plan." (don't remember who said it)

Oct 2007
    i suppose so.. its just a blue anno flashlight that ive gutted..

Lets RIDE!
    You could get a #1920 optic and an XR-E R2 led from DX for about $12. Driven at 1amp the R2 will put out over 200 lumens. That optic is 23.5mm diameter,so you'll have to shim it out a bit to match your 1" housing. Nice spot beam with some spill.

The key is moving the heat from the led to the housing. Mounting the led to a disc of 1/4" or thicker aluminum sized to fit tightly in your housing should do it.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

Oct 2007
    shimming i can do.. do i really want a spot beam though? i need enough to illuminate the road and give a reasonable reaction time to road debris when going 15-20mph. that one looks like 10 degree reflector, all though DX seems notorious for bad descriptions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    shimming i can do.. do i really want a spot beam though? i need enough to illuminate the road and give a reasonable reaction time to road debris when going 15-20mph. that one looks like 10 degree reflector, all though DX seems notorious for bad descriptions.
    These are very good for a roadie light.

Oct 2007
    sounds good, ill go with those. thanks guys!

Lets RIDE!
    I'm sure there are beamshots of the DX 1920 optic somewhere here, but no idea where. If I get ambitious I'll try and shoot one of my light tonight. it's 2 x XRE Q5 with those optics.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

Members who have read this thread: 0