Need help with picking PO/TRIM for new light- Mtbr.com

Mar 2009

Need help with picking PO/TRIM for new light

I'm in the process of building a new set of lights each running a K2 200lumen LED (vf 3.65) with a Luxeon 3021 buck driver and can't figure out what size Trimpot or Pot to put on one of them. Each will have a hefty heatsink (3/8 aluminum slug in a aluminum tube shell).

The first will be a helmet mount and the other a handlebar mount. Each have the same hardware though for the helmet mounted one I want to run it at 700mA so I'm thinking I can use a Trimpot to limit it, either that or a Pot that I can mount through the casing to control it externally.

I'm driving it with either a 4x1.2v AA 2650 mah NiMH batteries or a 6x1.2v AA 2650 mah NiMH batteries. The choice for sticking with NiMH AA batteries is that the setup is for ultra distance riders and I want the option to be able to use batteries from whatever store I can find en-route.

Any ideas? I'm lost when they show the sizes as as 2K, 5K, 10K....

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.oharahoke

Any ideas? I'm lost when they show the sizes as as 2K, 5K, 10K....
    5K - you can buy a version of the buckpuck which comes with an exernal dimming pot and it is a 5k. I subsequently ham fisted it and broke the pins off. The smallest I could find locally was a 10K. While it worked, there was less than a quater of a turn from off to full bright.

Mar 2009

Thanks

Thanks - I appreciate the direction. My understanding of Ohm's law is a tad rusty.

Members who have read this thread: 0