Need help finding Regina XP-G reflectors in USA- Mtbr.com
    Dirt Deviant

Need help finding Regina XP-G reflectors in USA

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I can't seem to find a source in the US that has the Regina 19mm XP-G reflectors.

Anybody have any ideas?

I'm just about to start my first couple DIY lights, and for my first one was going to do a Citizen Kane Hammond box and want to use the Regina's.

I picked up some 20mm XP-G's from Led Supply, and have everything else here besides the reflectors.

I did pick up some assorted Carlco optics from Led Supply, but have read that the Regina works really good and want to give it a shot.

I did find the LED-Spot website.....http://led-spot.com/category.php?id=28
    but haven't had a chance to call them or submit a sample form.

I'd really like to find a simple "click and order" way to them them on the way fast.
    We have solid rain here for the next 7-10 days and would love to have some tinkering to do after work.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

banned
    Digikey offers them except they won't ship until Jan.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Newark also have a 30 day lead time, try googling for "C11347_REGINA"
    Your best bet might be someone on here who has a few spare :-)

Dirt Deviant
    Thanx guys.
    I was bummed DigiKey didn't have them in stock, as that it who I ordered my 2 hammond boxes from the other day.

Yesterday was like X-Mas early....I had a bunch of packages shipped to work.

2 b2Flex boards, thanx for the fast service George!!!
    A box from Led Supply containing 4 XP-G 20mm boards, a 3 up 20mm XP-G, 1A buck puck, Arctic Allumina, several different XP-G optics and holders.
    DigiKey shipped me 2 hammond boxes and some 18650 holders, will be here monday.
    A few various reflectors from Future Electronics will be here tues.
    10 fresh 18650 cells.
    A couple different LiPo cells to play around with.
    Today I'm going shopping for some Alu L angle and a new soldering iron, maybe a station.
    Haven't bought a new soldering iron in a long time.

I've been lurking in the DIY forum for a couple years now, doing lots of reading....and finally now about to start my first light...haha.

I have a feeling that everybody I know will have a new bike light within the next couple months.

Anyways...............It looks like most of the US suppliers of the Regina are out of stock at this moment, so if anybody has 2 or 4 reginas that they are willing to part with, please let me know.

www.hahntronix.com
    Digikey does have reginas in stock for the rebel and Nichia N119.

As far as I can tell from the ones I ordered, they are all exactly the same part.

Don't ask me why the rebel and Nichia ones cost more.

Mark
    Nimium est melior!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Edit: All spares gone
    Last edited by kan3; 12-21-2010 at 07:40 AM.

mtbr member
    I too am in the same boat. I ordered a couple of XP-G 20mm stars from LED-supply along with the Carlco reflectors for my fist DIY light. All I read about here is reginas. I'd love to know where I could get some if they are really that much better. Am I going to be disappointed with the look of the carlco optics? I ordered the two different narrows and the mediums. I just figured I would experiment except I'm not really sure how that works if the are glued on. I'm also not sure that I will ever overcome how confused I get by all this.

Dirt Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottParsley
    I too am in the same boat. I ordered a couple of XP-G 20mm stars from LED-supply along with the Carlco reflectors for my fist DIY light. All I read about here is reginas. I'd love to know where I could get some if they are really that much better. Am I going to be disappointed with the look of the carlco optics? I ordered the two different narrows and the mediums. I just figured I would experiment except I'm not really sure how that works if the are glued on. I'm also not sure that I will ever overcome how confused I get by all this.

I did the same Scott. Ordered the 2 different narrow and medium optics.....= )
    Originally, I was planning on making a bar and helmet light, but for now I am making 2 helmet lights. One for me and one for a buddy. The Reginas throw pretty good for a helmet setup (so I have read) so I want to do it right the first time.
    It's good to have different optics and reflectors around for projects in the future, so I'm sure I'll put em to good use eventually.

Mark, good to know about the other Reginas at DigiKey.

mtbr member
    if it's any consolation, Digikey are pretty accurate about their restock times - when I ordered my Reginas a couple of months ago, they had a 3wk wait time and actually ended up in my hands 3wks later. I'd recommend them too, particularly for a helmet light, though I'd prefer something with a more even fill for a bar light.

mtbr member
    How will the Carlcos work out for Savageman and I? They don't get talked about much here.

mtbr member
    How will the Carlcos work out for Savageman and I? They don't get talked about much here.

They will be OK but probably not great pretty much all the optics got an airing on here by someone when the XPG came out . so with a bit (lot) of browsing you will find a beam shot of a particular optic .

then along came the Regina and blew most other optics of the same size away.

for a first build you will be happy ( but curious as to what they could be like ) then you will be sliding down that slope to another build

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If it were me, I'd hold off building until I got my hands on the Regina. I have built 2 lights with Carclo optics. The microlight with dual XP-Gs using 10mm Carclo spots is OK, but floody. I want more throw. The dual MC-E with Carclo 20mm spots was crap so it only hit the trail once before hitting the scrap heap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I used these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku. on my first helmet light and I was pretty happy with the throw. It is not a wide beam but it does shoot down the trail nicely. They fit perfectly over a XP-E R2. NOt sure if they will fit a XP-G, but for 3.83 for 5 it might be worth trying.

Dirt Deviant
    I ordered a couple of these last week to mess around with.........
    http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/...33-SO20XA.aspx

But will hold of on building until my Reginas show up. It's the right thing to do....= )

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    But will hold of on building until my Reginas show up. It's the right thing to do....= )
    Should be there by thursday

Dirt Deviant
    Awesome!!!! Thanx Kan3.
    I've got fri,sat,sun off work, so there may possibly be a new build thread with pics before the weekend is up....= )

mtbr member
    Not hijacking but I'm looking for some regina's for XP-G as well...Anyone have some spares...Say 6 of them?

Dirt Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3
    Should be there by thursday
    Came a day early!!!!!
    Thanx again Kan3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Digikey actually raised their price on the Regina. They use to be 1.13ea flat, now you have to buy 100 to get that price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Digikey does have reginas in stock for the rebel and Nichia N119.

As far as I can tell from the ones I ordered, they are all exactly the same part.

Don't ask me why the rebel and Nichia ones cost more.

Mark
    Can anyone verify is this is true?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bncrshr77
    Can anyone verify is this is true?
    Well, their data sheets show exactly the same dimensions in every aspect. I don't see how they couldn't be the same.

mtbr member
    I checked the data sheets as well and all dimensions were the same....I just ordered a few of each....Will be here in about a week and I''ll let you know what I come up with....

mtbr member
    Just got 6 ea Regina reflectors in from digikey... P/N 711-1115-ND Reflector for N119 and P/N 711-1116-ND Reflector for Luxeon Rebel...
    I do not have the Regina specified for the XP-G to compare but the data sheet sheets for all 3 are exactly the same. The two reflectors I do have seem to be exactly the same from a visual inspection sitting side by side...I'm guessing the XP-G regina would be the same as well?? Can't see why the price is different?

Dirt Deviant
    Nice. Any chance of getting some beam shots?

mtbr member
    Sadly it will be a while before I actually have a light together...Waiting on parts, work, etc...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    More than likely the price is different because Digikey decided to change it. The price of the xpg regina 3 weeks ago was $1.13ea for quantity of 1+. Now you have to buy 100+ of them to get $1.15ea

Dirt Deviant
    I didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured I'd post in here.
    I'm about to glue down my Reginas to the boards.
    I've read about people using all kinds of different glue.
    I was thinking about using some of my Artic Allumina.
    I also have 5 min epoxy, gorilla glue, silly cone clear or black, shoe goo (haha), artic silver epoxy, and as I mentioned arctic allumina.
    I know most epoxy, such as 5 min has a melting point of around 250-300F

What would you use out of those?

mtbr member
    I also have 5 min epoxy, gorilla glue, silly cone clear or black, shoe goo (haha), artic silver epoxy, and as I mentioned arctic allumina.

I used an ACE hardware 2 part 5 min. quick set. I was determined to use very little. Just a dab on the end of a matchstick. The other things I tried first were super glue and silicone. Both of those failed as I was assembling the light.

mtbr member

whatever you do, DON'T USE GORILLA GLUE! That stuff expands considerably as it cures (usually a good thing) but in this case it will push the reflector off the stay at best or expand over the LED dome at worst.

I've used odour-free (none acetyl) silicone - 1st a thin layer around the base, push down and allow to set. Once it's gone clear, build up some silicone in the space between the side of the reflector and the star, then let that set. Once it's all clear, you're good to assemble. Mine are pressed tight up against a lexan cover, so they can't move around, but I like the slight elasticity of the silicone in terms of vibration resistance.

Dirt Deviant
    Good call on the gorilla glue. I did a test with it after posting, on a flat surface and was amazed at how much it expands. Thats a no go.

I was thinking about elasticity.
    I have some "micro balloon fillers".
    It's basically powderized (weaponized) fiberglass, and when you mix it liberally with epoxy it makes it very rubbery.
    Especially when mixed with 5 min epoxy.
    Since I don't have any "good" silly cone, I may try to go that route.

I've been busy this morning.
    I have my light about 70% done....or what feels like 70% so far...... )
    Just need to glue down the reflectors and run a few wires to the stars and switch.
    Built the battery pack the other evening. 3s 11.1 with a balance cable.
    Balanced charged it and everything balanced out to 4.20v nicely.
    Hopefully I'll be done by this evening.
    Either way I'll post pics of the build when it's done.
    Thanx for all the help guys.
    Without this place and it's great members, there is no way I would have ever jumped into this DIY thing.

mtbr member
    I don't think the elasticity is super critical, especially in a helmet light, but I don't think it hurts.

A tip, unless I'm misinterpreting the order you wrote things - wire up the stars before gluing the reflectors down Pretty obvious, but when the "must finish this light" desire kicks in funny things happen!

Ditto on the advice thing, it's what allowed me to do my lights

Dirt Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet

A tip, unless I'm misinterpreting the order you wrote things - wire up the stars before gluing the reflectors down Pretty obvious, but when the "must finish this light" desire kicks in funny things happen!
    I was intending to to the wiring before the reflectors, but I did actually catch myself grabbing the epoxy to do the reflectors before I had wired the stars.

I stopped myself right as the epoxy was about to hit the mixing board......= )

Just mounting the b2Flex to the heatsink I made which is attached to the back of the L bracket, then wire up the stars, do the reflectors, and switch.

It's so close I can taste it....hahaha

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    so the regina reflector can be used for the 3up 20mm xpg star?

Dirt Deviant
    No, there is no way they would fit on a 20mm 3up board

Members who have read this thread: 0