Need Help Figuring Out Flashlight Clicky- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Need Help Figuring Out Flashlight Clicky

I am attempting to make a simple light with the Harbor Freight 9 LED flashlight. It is a perfect size to drop on of Quazzle's 20mm light engines in.

If I can I would like to use the existing clicky. From what I can tell, a clicky interrupts the flow from the negative terminal of the battery(if it were being used as a flashlight).

In the past, I have only used switches with two prongs which interrupt the circut on the positive side.

I wonder if it really matters which part of the circuit - positive or negative - is interrupted. Since there appears to only be on connection point, I don't even know where i would solder the wires.

Thanks in advance!

A waste of time it is is
    Fugio, you're in luck.

I converted a couple of those torches but used the teapot drivers. The clicky switches are an on off switch so I think they would only be suitable for turning power on and off to quazzles boards, I don't think they are any good for mode control.

That said, there are two tabs that can be soldered to and I soldered the clicky inline with the battery +ve. I don't think it matters if it is +ve or negative, as long as you break the circuit, you'll interupt power.

Excuse the quality of the pics but below you can see the two tabs. The short one, that doesn't have a wire connected to it actually makes contact with the side of the torch so you need to insulate it or risk shorting the torch body. I used liquid insulation for it.
    Name:  DSC00955.JPE
Views: 230
Size:  14.9 KB
    Name:  DSC00956.JPE
Views: 218
Size:  14.6 KB

Hope this helps

Edit: Forgot to mention that there is a rectangular section of the clicky that can be removed. This contains all the mechanics and the tabs of the clicky and removing it will give you better access to both tabs. I drilled a small hole in each tab so that I could feed the wire through them before soldering to give better mechanical connection to the tabs as I thought they might break off when screwed back in to the torch body. As you can see in the pic, one of the wires actually has broken off above the solder joint, they don't like being twisted repeatedly when you put the tail cap on and off, over and over. Get it right once, close it up and leave it

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Wow! That was the answer! After a little more disassembling, I figured out where the two tabs are.

All I need to do is find the appropriate rubber grommet to allow a Batteryspace wire to exit the flashlight housing and machine a 2" aluminum cylinder with a groove on one side.

Also ordered some of those cheap Dealextreme rubber and velcro handlebar flashlight holders.

If this works, it will mean the Harbor Freight 9 led flashlight is a fairly flexible housing with a built in switch for less than $5 dollars!

recognize the slowness
    or for free if you have a coupon! I was thinking of doing something similar for the helmet light. Or Vancbikers mini style. Still on the fence...

I have a friend who is retired and gives me the coupon anytime I ask because he gets one every month or so.
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

A waste of time it is is
    jb if you are doing a helmet light may I suggest you stay away from the triple xp-g version and stick with triple xp-e. The triple g boards at that size are just too floody to be a good helmet light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the advice. I have read the same thing, Even with the narrow optics on a triple XP-G, it is still like a medium beam with other reflectors. If I need a helmet light, I will be sure to use a XP-E triple

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Now onto grommets. Since I can retain the original clicky switch on the Harbor Freight flashlight, I should probably use a grommet to get that more finished look.

Any suggestions on a good place to get them/ Do I need to accomodate for the curvature of the flashlight tube?

Thanks in Advance

recognize the slowness
    can't remember what the difference in lumens comes out to be, anyone?

Arrow and other elec outlets have grommets if I remember correctly... Could be mixing the name up.

JB
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Do rubber grommets work well on the cruved surface of a flashlight or is there another better option?

A waste of time it is is
    No idea fujio but they are dirt cheap at your local electronics outlet so grab some and experiment. The ones I have are fairly flexible so I'm sure will fit the curved surface but I don't know how much clearance you will loose when you bend them into place as I can see the internal hole shrinking, if you know what I mean. It may just be as simple as getting one the next size up, depending on how much clearance you have with your wire.

Members who have read this thread: 0