Need driver ideas for this dual Dinotte style XR-E- Mtbr.com
    I like bloody ankles

Need driver ideas for this dual Dinotte style XR-E

I'm building this as a helmet light using two XR-E R2 WG emitters, planning to use DX 1920 optics, or possibly Carclo's, both of which I have already and I've tested to give a nice throw. Power will be provided by an 11.1v 6600mah pack in the camelback, so obviously need a buck circuit.

The switch I have mounted currently is an SPDT, and I could use a resistor to provide a simple off-low-high functionality, but I also have SPST and momentary switches I could use if more appropriate.

ID of the tubing is 22mm, and I could use one or two drivers as I'll have enough space in both tubes. There is already a wire passage hole between the tubes.

So I'm looking to tap into the forums experience and ideas. What would you do ?

mtbr member
    Hi,
    I used one of these off ebay and wired an inline locking pushbutton switch. Worked a treat on my triple XRE helmet light.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5W-970mA-Power...3A1%7C294%3A50

Steve

I like bloody ankles
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta
    Hi,
    I used one of these off ebay and wired an inline locking pushbutton switch. Worked a treat on my triple XRE helmet light.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5W-970mA-Power...3A1%7C294%3A50

Steve
    Thanks Steve, that's a nice board with good features for the price, but I'm concerned with the dimension of 23mm. Since you've had them in your hands, do you feel there's enough spare board space to remove some and fit in my 22mm ID ?

Optimal fit would be a round board so I could mount it on a 1/8" Al slug in either or both tubes.

mtbr member
    Hi mate,
    No worries. I should think it would be easy enough to remove 0.5mm from both sides, you could them make a slug using some 22mm dia bar, machined to have a flat section. They are nice and cheap too so if it doesn't work, you won't have l;ost too much. You could then glue the board to the slug and AA the slug into the housing....hey presto, good thermal path to the housing

I like bloody ankles

I found drivers

For future reference in case anyone else has the same situation, I've found three drivers that fit all of my criteria.

- SOB (comes in multiple current versions, I went with 1000ma)
    - Shark Buck
    - Kennan 3

First two are from Sandwich Shoppe, where I received some excellent customer service, and the Kennan is from KD.

I decided to go with the SOB as it's made here in the US and the Sandwich Shoppe has a strong reputation for quality. I'll share the light once it's completed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am using Kennan drivers from KD. With one XR-E R2 efficiency is about 80%.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I've used a 3023 Buckpuck in a couple of the lights I've built including this one:

Also I've used the newer Black Cat ones mentioned above in this one:

Both used the same switches and tubing as yours.

Tony

Go faster!
    nice lights. I'm about to build a simple dinote with one MCE and a nice reflector.
    Where do you get the 22mm ID aluminium tubing? Ordering online the shipping is VERY expensive

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio_pt
    nice lights. I'm about to build a simple dinote with one MCE and a nice reflector.
    Where do you get the 22mm ID aluminium tubing? Ordering online the shipping is VERY expensive
    For $5.57 USD + shipping (shouldn't be too much) from mcmaster.com, I ordered part 8978K221: Rigid Aluminum Tubing 1" OD, .87" ID, .065" Wall Thickness, 1' Length which is of similar spec.

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_J_Ross

Tony
    How have you joined the tubes together? It looks like plasti-dip or similar? Nice job anyway!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I used metal epoxy from a car supply store. Each tube is stuck hard to each other then supported by a curved piece of flat 20mmx1mm aluminium.

Here's the total fabrication gallery if anyone's interested:

https://tonyjross.com/PROJECTS/bikelight5/

I like bloody ankles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_J_Ross
    I've used a 3023 Buckpuck in a couple of the lights I've built including this one:
    Tony
    I used the buckpuck with dimmer on my first achesalot style triple R2, and I agree they are very nice drivers to work with - fully potted so no risk of shorts, and no need to heatsink. In this project I tried to keep the length of the tubing to a minimum so the buckpuck was out. The SOB is really tiny, only 13mm, and I'll have just enough room for that and the 1/4" slugs for heatsinks, SPDT switch, and 2w resistor for low mode, and of course the R2's and DX 1920 optics.

mtbr member
    Power will be provided by an 11.1v 6600mah pack in the camelback
    hell, thats some battery for a couple of R2!!
    is this something you already have? .....
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_rider
    For $5.57 USD + shipping (shouldn't be too much) from mcmaster.com, I ordered part 8978K221: Rigid Aluminum Tubing 1" OD, .87" ID, .065" Wall Thickness, 1' Length which is of similar spec.

thanks for the link, I'll check it

I like bloody ankles
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY HEY ITS HENDO
    hell, thats some battery for a couple of R2!!
    is this something you already have? .....
    It is a pack I already have, got it for $35 when allbattery started thier sale on that pack about 8 weeks ago, and my next project was a better helmet light, so this is where I ended up. I guess the double R2 setup will run just about forever with that pack

Members who have read this thread: 0