need basic advice for newb light build.- Mtbr.com

Aug 2009

need basic advice for newb light build.

I'm looking to dip my feet into the DIY bike light world. think I'll start off with DX stuff mostly. trying to keep it cheap. would like to get somewhere in the 500+ lumen range with 2-3 hour run time.

any recommendations for what all is needed?

thinking

P7 or maybe MC-E led
    ? driver
    will 4X 18650 be enough batt?
    no real idea yet for reflector

was a machinist for 9 years so the housing and wiring wont be a problem.
    mostly looking for recommendations for battery req and reflector sources/ideas

thanks for any help.
    Last edited by slappomatt; 08-30-2009 at 04:12 PM.

mtbr member
    I would suggest an MCE from ledsupply www.ledsupply.com with a driver from taskled www.taskled.com If going with one MCE then probably either a simple cc5w at 700ma or a nflex/blex for multimode options. These are all buck drivers by the way which lowers the voltage to the correct value. The MCE I feel is easier to work with as far as driver options are concerned.

Optics are the hard part of this and I would suggest either a Ledil LM1 or the Iris from the which MCE optic will win thread.

As far as batteries go I wuld wnat a little more headroom that the 4X18650 would provide. Probably 14.4v which is fairly cheap to get from batteryspace if you are in the US or smudgebucket?? if you are in the UK.

for a runtime calculator look at the led pro runtime calculator. It is a downloadable executable and gives fairly accurate information. This is an online version link http://kenworster.com/ledcalc/

My 1/2 cent hope that helps

Aug 2009
    thanks alot, some good info for me to look into.

Aug 2009
    well I ended up getting 2 Q5 bin Xr-3 LED's and a 700Mah buckpuck driver board. guess I'll start off a little smaller then I was originally intending. ordered the whole deal from LEDSUPPLY. got 8 5000MaH "C" NiMH cells headed my way from batteryspace too. I know the battery will be overkill but I can use it with bigger lights down the road too and I have a charger that will go up to 8cells already.

ok heres another ?

if I plan to later build a dual MCE light and want to use this 8.4V 5000MaH battery how would I wire it? The way I understand it the series wired stars require more voltage, so i could ? use 2 P wired MCE stars in series to get 7V and 1400 Mah? then run that off a Hipflex driver board. I hear most people dont like using MCE wired in P. is that really a problem in real world usage

ETA I guess I ordered the wrong board by accident. ment to order the 1000Mah board. oh well. it will run cooler.
    Last edited by slappomatt; 09-05-2009 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    I run my dual mCE in a 2s2p configuration with either a bflex/nflex or a maxflex. Keeps the forward voltage down, making the battery packs a bit easier. As long as they are thermally connected I have not had any problems with them in the enitre time I have been using them.

ymmv

Members who have read this thread: 0