my dual Xpg build progress- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

my dual Xpg build progress

Starting my first build, I have to hit the mill again, the 3D models I had were 1mm off on the optic side. The wire gland came in from DigiKey and need another mm off the back to clear the driver.

XPG R5 on 20mm star
    buckplus 1000ma driver
    Regina optics
    3S1P battery tray

I'm the designer not a machinest so not the prettiest thing out there

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Actually the swoopy fins are very cool.

mtbr member
    jsigone, will you be fitting a front faceplate or just a clear plastic front cover?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    thanks OD, I used a 1/4" ball end to get the grooves.

yah will just be a clear front plate with silicon bead around. I wanted to do sandwich the plate but the mill we have at work is a hand crank (no computers) so making circles suck and making a groove for a silicon gasket could be hit n miss. Plus I haven't touched the mill in about a year so yah no practice.

I forgot to take the LEDs and optics to work so had to drill it to specs before the fit check. Today I got my switch, boot, gland, cables, mount and 18650 tray. Tomorrow I'll drill it to the parts and add the 4/40 tapped holes needed for the covers

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Start with the clear front then. Since you are getting the DIY bug your next project will be another light or a bezel plate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone
    The wire gland came in from DigiKey
    looking good jsigone, that'll be a sweet light when you're done.

what's the part no. for the cable gland? I've spent more time than I care to remember searching Digikey for stuff and I've largely given up with looking for cable glands on there!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Here's my build list

All prices are in US dollars.

From Digikey
    Part Number -- Extended Price
    377-1630-ND-- NG-9511 -- $1.70-- cable glade
    BK-18650-PC6-ND -- $2.46 --3 cell 18650 holder
    CP-2218-ND-- $3.06-- CABLE ASSY 5.5X2.5MM M/F
    512PB-ND 40-4325-00-- $1.66-- SWITCH PB SPST ALT ONOFF 10AMP
    531PB-ND 19-1103-00 -- $0.82 --BOOT RUBBER/NUT TALL BUSHING RED
    513PB-ND 19-1088-00 -- $0.79-- BOOT RUBBER/NUT TALL BUSHING BLACK
    711-1115-ND-- C11347_REGINA-N119-- $2.98 -- Optics
    955-1019-ND-- XPGWHT-L1-0000-00H51-STAR-- $10.65-- XPG-R5
    788-1030-ND-- 7023-D-N-1000 -- $15.99 -- buckplus 4wire 1000ma driver (no dimmer)

From Cateyes
    H-31 Oversize Bracket -- $2.75
    Spacer (mount to light body)-- $2.00

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone
    Here's my build list
    awesome, thanks for that. Added a cable gland to my Digikey order (thankfully the Reginas are back ordered!).

Nice to see the Cateye spacers getting some more love, I think they're such a neat and cheap solution.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well I got it together, I think my driver is dud and/or I wired it wrong some how. I got voltage through the switch but no outputs from the driver side, I tried to bypass the switch with direct connect with same results. So I guess I'll order another driver in the morn if I can't get a replacement.

Here's the new pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Very Pro looking. Great build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Very Pro looking. Great build.
    I agree, looks fantastic. No idea why the driver didn't work though, hopefully you'll be able to get it sorted soon!

Dirt Deviant
    Looks awesome!
    Bummer about the driver.
    What kind of switch did you use?
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    thanks, I'm pretty happy with the build other then it not working. Everything fit good together after another day fine tuning it on the mill. I made a few extra lexan front covers in case this becomes scratched. I've submitted a RMA to Digikey last night so hope to hear back from them today. I'll un-solder the driver leads to the stars and test again but doubtful, I ohm'd across the LED and they lite so those are still in good working order. If I don't hear from them by tomorrow, I'll just order another and deal with the RMA unit as a spare if it gets replaced.

The switch looks the same as the battery space one, but I got it from digikey and went nuts with the 10amp 14Vdc version. I measured the voltage across the switch and get the on/off. The batteries I used wasn't full charge but darn near. Still had 11.1v total coming from the battery pack. I should only need about 9v to drive this system.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    had lunch with a friend that looked over my build. He called me a dumb ass cuz I solder the leads to the wrong side of the star and shorted the driver w/ my series bridge. Lucky the driver has a short protection feature. Moved the bridge to the outside post the wires from the driver were too short, soldered back up the switch and got blinded

Test ride tonight!!
    Last edited by jsigone; 01-12-2011 at 05:25 PM.

mtbr member
    nice job, that's what friends are for

I pretty much guarantee that you'll love your light, I was stunned by mine when I built it up and I'm still pleased as punch with it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    yes!! Shocking how much throw this sucker has and very usable spill. I'm using a mitycross 400 on my helmet and that is a bit more floody w/ XPGs in there. I really liking this combo and won't be scared at night for my 12hr race coming up.

Did a nice 2hr ride on my rigid 29er, the light survived the rattle shake through rocky sections at good speed, rode through some stream w/o problem. I found the perfect battery bag at my LBS, just right for 3 cells & holder.
    http://www.bikebling.com/Sci-con-Ela...10-cordura.htm

recognize the slowness
    How about the usable light when going through rough sections on the rigid steed? I have a Mary and kept it rigid also. My light when I have the housing in hand and charger was supposed to be a bar light but if you didn't like the light on the bars I might reconsider...

JB
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'd run just bar mount if I had one light, just pointed closer 5ft or so. Helmet light alone cast weird shadows at speed and some time no shadows and will wash out rocks before you get on top of it and not having a fork to help the sudden rocks hurt after a while. The bar light cast good shadows on rocks at distance and lets you know they are coming. The helmet just spots what need to be ridden over.

Can I run this alone, yes in a heart beat if I had too. But will be reduced speeds in tight corners but thats about it. If it was my only light, I'd build it to be more floody like with a 3up system. Tomorrow I'm going out with a buddy who doesn't have lights, I'll let him bar mount the mitty400 and this setup will be bar mounted on my bike. I'll keep you informed how it performs w/o the helmet helper

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    got a ride in w/ a buddy who I let use the mitty and he paired it w/ his P7 torch. Even that combo wasn't enough light to cover this setup. I'm pretty confident in just running this alone on the bars even on my rigid 29er. He now wants me to build a light for him.

Here's some beamshot of the road, should took them of the trail but didn't have a pack for the DLSR and tripod. I forgot to take pics w/ the Mitty400

F4, Daylight, ISO 100 @ 6sec kit lens @ 18mm
    pointed down a bit to normal riding for me

My buddy offered to get blinded, pointed a bit farther up to show the throw.

mtbr member
    jsigone, nice little light and I'm sure you'll love it.

I'm building another twin XPG Regina as I broke my last one but with all of the lights I have to hand it would be the one I used the most.

First builds are not meant to go smooth, I wired my first light up the wrong way round too

Have you got the bug? If so what's you next build going to be?

mtbr member
    That looks a lot brighter than id imagine two xpg's..Good simple build
    So whats next? have you got the bug?

Must admit i'm not to keen on the hot spots from reflectors, i had that on the first lights i made using hand tools.. DX 52mm reflector with a P7..

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    haha I think the bug hit when I got the Mitty400, and I knew it needed a partner. Two of my buddies now want me to build up a light for them to that should tame my fix for a bit. Will used extruded alum rectangle tubing time around. My milling skills aren't that great and a band saw is a bit easier I'll still use the mill to cut the vents on top but thats about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger
    That looks a lot brighter than id imagine two xpg's..Good simple build
    So whats next? have you got the bug?

Must admit i'm not to keen on the hot spots from reflectors, i had that on the first lights i made using hand tools.. DX 52mm reflector with a P7..
    I think 2 XP-Gs @1A makes for a pretty decent helmet light - comparable output to a L+M Seca 700, but with more throw and less even/wide spill. For a bar light I think you'd need one of the LEDs to have a floodier reflector/ optic (Laura/ CXP-RS) to fill in that space between spot and cut off.

One thing I'm interested in checking out is replacing 1 of the XP-G with an XM-L, to see if the wider spot/ greater flood of the XM-L fills in some of that dead space. That and running them at 1.5A

mtbr member
    spookadix..
    64 posts and all the same crap, some rip off scheme!
    take your crap else where and [email protected] off!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger
    spookadix..
    64 posts and all the same crap, some rip off scheme!
    take your crap else where and [email protected] off!
    mods are super quick!!

Members who have read this thread: 0