My DIY lights- Mtbr.com

Thread: My DIY lights

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

My DIY lights

These are my first bike lights so be gentle

2x2 Cree R2, each with the integrated 4NiMH battery pack. I have originally ordered the DX 3256 drivers but they still haven't shipped (after two and a half months). In the mean time I have discovered that some of my older NiMH batteries are so worn out that I can direct drive two R2 LEDs (older, high Vf) with a maximal current per LED no more than 1A so this is what I currently do. Total project cost was a bit over $50 - not bad for a 800-1000lm light.

As I ride mostly in the city I was looking for an optimal road illumination without blinding the incoming traffic - that's why the two light design. Though both have 8-deg spot optics, one has a diffuser and is pointed maybe 2m from the front wheel. The other is pointed a bit higher but still well below the horizon. That way very little light escapes above the horizon.
    For maximal convenience, both lights are equiped with the quick-release bike mounts. Together with the integrated batteries they also make convenient handheld flashlights

Enough of the boring details. Here are a few photos (beamshots to follow):

mtbr member
    Very clever and unusual design, dsvilko.
    I think I saw the start of these quite some time back.

A few questions if you don't mind.
    Can the batteries be charged without removing them from the housing?
    Did you manage to make it water proof? and could you tell me the Vf of your older R2's please.

Look forward to the roadie style beam shots, should make a change.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Dsvilko, mightn't be as pretty as some CNC creations.... but I bet they work really well and that's what counts!

What is the diffuser you have used?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks! The Vf is about [email protected] (DX R2's ordered 12/12/08). Probably not that efficient but still plenty bright. Don't know about the battery life yet.
    The batteries have to be removed for recharging (I only have a standard 4 NiMH battery charger) but it's really very simple to remove the battery packs. Currently, the lights are not waterproof at all but I am planing to do something about that (though I avoid riding in the rain).

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What do you mean 'not as pretty'?! That's genuine retro-design, that is!
    Just kidding...

The diffuser is made from some kind of a 'matte' plastic sheet I had (similar texture to the 'matte' CD slim box). After a bit of testing I discovered it's similar to the Scotch tape but much more efficient (low loss). Here are the measurements, if anyone is interested:

Measured from a digital camera photos.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Cool lights. I like the enclosed battery compartment. What did you use for the enclosure/box?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The box is just a generic plastic container of the right size from a local electronics shop. It's the same width as the 486 CPU coolers (don't ask, I have way too much junk) and the batteries fit in tightly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks. So just the generic project box.
    Cool junk. Wish I had a pile of heat sinks to scrounge around in.

Members who have read this thread: 0