My 3W light- Mtbr.com

Thread: My 3W light

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

My 3W light

Well, nothing particular is here, but may be some ideas for people.
    Parts:

That's it:

More photos are there: 3W light

I soldered aluminium tube into the case and used the same method with the switch. For soldering aluminium I used special solder "Universal Lot 370" and kitchen torch.

This is my first DIY and just an experimantal light. Actually, I am going to build another much more powerful light, but wanted to try different techniques.
    Last edited by Itess; 04-17-2009 at 05:43 PM.

Formerly NattyBoh74...
    nice

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mroneeyedboh
    nice
    Thanks! This light is gonna be my helmet light together with my 4*18650 battery holder. For a bar light I am going to build a 8*18650 holder.

Bandolero

List of the day

Nice parts list. Everybody in this forum always asks for details and you've covered that from the beginning.

You probably don't need that much heatsinking for a Cree 3W LED (at least while riding) but it looks like a beta run for a mult-emitter setup.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    With that much surface area you could easily handle more LED's in the head- especially since you soldered the pieces together. The solder will conduct heat between parts nicely.

Nice build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Nice parts list. Everybody in this forum always asks for details and you've covered that from the beginning.

You probably don't need that much heatsinking for a Cree 3W LED (at least while riding) but it looks like a beta run for a mult-emitter setup.
    Well, yes, while riding it's gonna be cool. The LED is driven at 0.96A and it gets quite hot at room temperature in 10 minutes though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bwilli
    With that much surface area you could easily handle more LED's in the head- especially since you soldered the pieces together. The solder will conduct heat between parts nicely.
    Yep, I used aluminium foil for threads, Arctic Silver for the reflector (it sits quite tight in the tube) and solder for the tube. I was concerned with the heatsinking. I have an idea how to make a light in frozen-style but without using a lathe and any special tool, only drill and kitchen torch. Frankly speaking, I have more ideas for some original (I hope) lights which can be done without lathe or mills, but they take their time and will be presented with photos
    Nice build.
    Thanks.

May 2009
    Very nice build. Could you provide some advice on creating the tube with threads to attach to the heatsink? I like this model as it will be easy to waterproof and provides enough heat sink for a P7 emitter. Was it two pieces, one with pre-made threads? Or did you fabricate it from scratch using tube and a flat piece of alum?
    Thanks again! Keep up the great work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    well done Itess,
    There is so much enjoyment from building youre own lights. what you will find is you start building small and they gradually get bigger and bigger and then smaller and smaller as in Trouties case! But keep going, its like an addiction in the end and so many friendly folk on here to help out when needed

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jrotha
    Very nice build. Could you provide some advice on creating the tube with threads to attach to the heatsink? I like this model as it will be easy to waterproof and provides enough heat sink for a P7 emitter. Was it two pieces, one with pre-made threads? Or did you fabricate it from scratch using tube and a flat piece of alum?
    Thanks again! Keep up the great work.
    It was 25 mm alu anodized tube from a local store like here:

I bored the stock alu rear cap from the E27 Case and soldered that tube into it. Then I polished the tube. That's it.
    Polishing kit for hand drill was bought in the local store.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smudgemtbuk
    well done Itess,
    There is so much enjoyment from building youre own lights. what you will find is you start building small and they gradually get bigger and bigger and then smaller and smaller as in Trouties case! But keep going, its like an addiction in the end and so many friendly folk on here to help out when needed
    Absolutely!

Members who have read this thread: 0