MR16 upgrade?- Mtbr.com

Thread: MR16 upgrade?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

MR16 upgrade?

I'm looking to upgrade the light on my trials bike. It outputs 12 V DC and has space for an MR16 bulb. I picked up this blown 3watt MR16 bulb and thought I would try and use it as the heatsink for my new setup. I was looking at the epoxy potted buck drivers thinking I could mount that to the back of the number plate to drive the LED.
    There is room for a 20mm star and the depth is approx 15mm for the optics.
    Could I wire up a Cree MC-E so the input voltage required to the driver is 12v?
    Is there another LED that would be better suited?
    here are some pics of the heatsink. It only weighs 50 grams but has a lot of surface area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    System is at 12 V and MC-E in series is around 12 V so no room to buck or boost voltage.
    If you wire the MC-E 2s2p you could then run a 1000 mA buckpuck. Each of your four emitters would see 500 mA. MC-E are floody, but for trials I guess that would be good.
    Here is a wiring diagram from an Ocean Breathes Salty post.

Lots of optics to choose from. Sort your mounting depth and diameter. Don't forget to take the emitter and MCPCB depth into consideration.
    You can check out cutter for lens options and dimensions. There are datasheet links for the optics there so you can get accurate diameter and height measurements.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    thanks odtexas. I have a headlamp as well so I'm not to worried about the floody output.

If I wanted to go for maximum lumens is there a different setup I should use? IE other LED's

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Mauiguy,

Are you sure that the GG puts out DC to the lighting circuit? I know it is regulated and rectified for the fan, but I think on my older (2001) TXT 321, the lighting circuit is regulated AC.

Just might want to check it out.

Rob

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Well when I put my multimeter on it it reads 12 V DC. I didn't try it on the AC range but thanks for the heads up I'll check it out. The Bike is a gasgas 300 pro and has a newer Kukusan ignition system rather than the older ducati system

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    For maximum lumens you could look into the Ostar. Cosmoworks thread details this LED very well and the driver he used should work with your system if it is DC.
    Issue could then be mounting depth and heat. Sounds like the Ostar runs really hot.

Flip side to all this is the Mr16 comes in 50 and 75 watt bulbs. Thats 1000 to 1500 lumens. Mountain bikers don't run these due to power draw / battery size.
    The trials bike might be able to handle the draw. Not my area of expertise, but something to think about.

mtbr member
    for more lumens you have numerous options in a mr16 sized housing .
    you could shoehorn in 3 MCE but would need to be good with the heatsinking .

you could use a d cell maglight for a host and use all sorts of different combinations .

Interesting as my brother has asked me to look in to led lights for his V8 chopper he is building and I am wondering what drivers to use that can handle the dirty power from a vehicle.

Members who have read this thread: 0