Modding LED dynamo lights- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Modding LED dynamo lights

So, for a recent 12hr solo night race I borrowed an LED dynamo setup - a solidlights (www.solidlights.co.uk) 1203D dynamo light running 2x luxeon III emitters off a schmidt hub. While the output was good for slow fireroad type climbs and meant I could conserve my vista halogen helmet and bar mounted lights for singletrack, the output was very low at those kinds of speeds, fairly low at higher speeds, and pretty spotlighty. Not having taken it apart but looked though the plastic cover, the optics seem to be Carclo's. My question is - how likely is it that I would be able to drop in (solder obviously) 2x seoul P4s as replacements for the Lux III emitters? If it were battery and buck driver based I would be happy doing this but obviously the electronics are somewhat different in a dynamo unit. I'm assuming that as the Vfs are similar and the optics should be compatible it should be a case of unsolder and resolder in the seouls, but am I mising anything? I think the light with approx 3x output and possible one of the optics changed from a spot to a flood would actually be pretty useable offroad...

Ian

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by SSBonty
    So, for a recent 12hr solo night race I borrowed an LED dynamo setup - a solidlights (www.solidlights.co.uk) 1203D dynamo light running 2x luxeon III emitters off a schmidt hub. While the output was good for slow fireroad type climbs and meant I could conserve my vista halogen helmet and bar mounted lights for singletrack, the output was very low at those kinds of speeds, fairly low at higher speeds, and pretty spotlighty. Not having taken it apart but looked though the plastic cover, the optics seem to be Carclo's. My question is - how likely is it that I would be able to drop in (solder obviously) 2x seoul P4s as replacements for the Lux III emitters? If it were battery and buck driver based I would be happy doing this but obviously the electronics are somewhat different in a dynamo unit. I'm assuming that as the Vfs are similar and the optics should be compatible it should be a case of unsolder and resolder in the seouls, but am I mising anything? I think the light with approx 3x output and possible one of the optics changed from a spot to a flood would actually be pretty useable offroad...

Ian
    hehe loads of seoul conversion threads lately hehe.

There is a pretty good chance the seoul will be an easy swap. I have done my cateye triple/double shots They are very similar in size, the main difference is that the seoul is about 0.7mm shorter so probably needs spacing out (sandwich shoppe sell copper spacers for this purpose).

You will need to isolate the back of the led electrically from the heatsink if there are more than one series. I used thermal tape designed for pc processors. somepeople rely on thermal compound forming a layer that doesn't conduct electrically....but I have nagging doubts its going to short.

The Vf is a touch lower for the seoul, and they are significantly brighter current for current.

Lowrider has informed me that the seoul is a bit prone to ringyness on optics.

reflectors smooth things out nice though. If the optics/reflectors in uour lighta re 20mm diameter and about 15mm deep there is a good chance that IMS/McR/Kahtod reflectors might fit. On the IMS 20 I noticed a good increase in light spill with a good spot compared to the cateye optics.

I have the McR and Kahtod ones on theor way to try in mine. The McR one has an orange peel finish, and one type of the kahtod ones has a stipled finish....both should improve flood at the expense of a hot spot.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

Members who have read this thread: 0