Modding help for MJ-808E- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Modding help for MJ-808E

So I have had this light for several years and it has worked very well for me. The only thing that I do not like is that the light has a slight blue/green tint to it. I believe this leads to eye fatigue and less depth perception. My friend recently got Yinding YD 2xU2, and although I don't think its much brighter than my light, the color looks much warmer, there is no blue/green tint at all.

So my questions is, can I upgrade to XM-L2 LED ( I believe the original is XM-L) that is warmer while getting slightly more output? Where could I find a module that I can solder in or would it be more involved than that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I have no idea what emitter base size is used in that light but not so hard to find.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1609/10003889/2116203

You can buy just the LED and reflow it onto the one you currently have.

RAKC
    IIRC They use a pretty standard 20mm star for the emitter. You can order one with a xm-l2 emitter, u2 bin and 3c tint (same as yinding) and just replace it. If you unscrew the front cap and post a pic, I can tell you for sure.

Theres a long explanation why yours appears brighter than the yinding. Mainly your using a cool white emitter and the 808 is basically a flashlight head. So there is a stronger hot spot where as the yindings output is more spread out, so doesnt look as bright in the middle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the info guys! Im looking at this bin, which should be much more "white" than the tint I see on my setup. Also, I have a wide angle lens on my 808, which helps since I mount it on my handlebars. I would think the 3c tint would be more blue than 5a. Im trying to go for a more white and or incandescent color. What do you think?

Cree XLamp XM-L2 XML2 Neutral White LEDs T6 Bin, 5A Tint

RAKC
    3C isnt blue at all. 5A is VERY WARM. I have a flashlight with that tint. Not something that matches well with other NW lights. VERY VERY YELLOW.

3C is still yellowish no blue anywhere. In your light youll see the yellow in the halo very easily, never any blue. 3C is yellowish but barely yellow, 3D has a pinkish tone to the edge of the halo. 5A is pushing campfire orange

If you want incan tint, go 4C. its a bit more yellow than 3c but not flat out really warm like 5A. 3c and 4c are the closest to Sunny Day color tones I know of atm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I ordered the CREE XM-L2 T6 4C LED on Noctigon 20mm MCPCB from Mountain Electronics
    Once I get it I will post some pics and let you guys know if it was worth it. Thanks for your help again!

RAKC
    I get emitters from them all the time (lot of other stuff too). I think 4c might be a tad yellow (personal preference thing) for you, but I like the tint personally.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    All in it was like $9, so If I don't like it I can try another emitter. All the lights I have been using just have too much blue/purple/green tint to them. It takes like 20 minutes for my eyes to adjust after. While I'm driving home, all the lights in my car and even street lights look like they have a weird tint for a while after riding.

RAKC
    Well if you want something similar to car/street lights your about there.

That's one of the reasons I hate cool white, messes up the eyes for a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So its been a while. I have had these pics sitting on my phone for almost a year and thought it would be good to document for others. The light is definitely brighter. I think some people would not like the tint but my eyes are perfect after a ride and I jump in my car. No more funky colors... Also, the tint looks like a crazy bright incandescent light. I like it, especially for the $9 bucks I paid. Only mod I had to do is use the cutting wheel on the dremel to recreate the channels in the emitter to match the original. The copper material transfers heat to the body much more quickly than the stock aluminum one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Modding help for MJ-808E-1.jpg  

Modding help for MJ-808E-2.jpg  

Modding help for MJ-808E-3.jpg  

Modding help for MJ-808E-5.jpg  

Modding help for MJ-808E-6.jpg