Modding a cheapy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Modding a cheapy

Has anybody had any luck with modifying a cheap bar mount LED light with higher power LED's and a rechargeable battery pack? It seems like a good portion of the build involves finding a suitable case to house all the bits and pieces.

Something like this for example...
    Last edited by LanB; 06-04-2009 at 12:44 PM.

mtbr member
    I haven't seen a mod using the blackburn flea.... but you can find some good threads about modding this one:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Led+Light.aspx

it's not quite as cheap though.

Carbon8er
    If it will hold still long enough and there is enough room inside, just about anything can be converted to a high powered LED.

One of the problems I see right off the bat, as you said, is finding a suitable housing.

Low power LED lights may have a plastic housing, which is not gonna be any good for a high powered LED conversion.

Some DX flashlight bodies are suitable.

This one for $11.50 is a great deal, but it took a ton of labor to make a P7 work in this carcass.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=524599

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    This has probably been covered 100 times but Ive been on the road for a while and only just found this forum... Anyway I ride with an old AA mag that I used a terralux drop in mod that pumps out a good 100 Lumin. I have a great but mid 90's vintage holder that is all cool machined aluminium. One thing to be aware of though is heat build-up so I fabbed a brass heat sink with fins, took out the plastic bulb holder for extra space and used a heat resistant (ish) epoxy mixed with the brass filings to glue it all together. Not bad for $20... It is a Cree LED and on start up it fairly massive light that then cuts down a bit - possibly loses up to 20% of output. Another trick is the addition of a glass front element and you can get all sorts of cool additions. As Ive said its all most likely been done before, but possibly not. There are better drop in systems, but Im cheap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icemonkey
    As Ive said its all most likely been done before, but possibly not. There are better drop in systems, but Im cheap.
    Cheapness is one of the parents of invention. Invention on the other hand is a little brat who like to break expensive stuff and never cooperates, except on the rare days when the stars are aligned and all karma debts have been paid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Too true, I try to keep my modding to proven simple CHEAP solutions - ones other people have broken stuff on first. I would be shocked if no one else has tried this Mod on the Maglites before. Its very very common and really quite cheap. Added bonus I get over an hour and a half of 80 - 100 lumins on 2 AA rechargables. Add to that a push button switch and fluted lens barrel an away ya go... I haven't yet seen a light as good for as little (if you already have an old Mag. Plus totally indistructable - the way I ride I need that!

Members who have read this thread: 0