mod existing halogen light?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

mod existing halogen light?

Hey Guy's,

So I'm catching this bug big time to build me my own lights vs. buying but while I'm reading up and getting a better understanding of what I want to do. I wanted to see what I can do with my existing lights.
    I have the old Supergo HL-20
    Supergo HL-20 Headlight description:
    The Supergo HL -20 Headlight Dual 20 Watt high beam with One-Touch Quick Release handlebar mounting system. Each light unit has 360 degrees of horizontal adjustment. Run time from 1 hour (30W) to 4 hours (10W). Handlebar mounted remote switch controls both light units, 6 Volt 7,400 ma NiMH rechargeable battery, frame mounted padded neoprene battery bag. Digital fully automatic fast charger with LED status indication. 9.5 hour charge time or less. Weight 1.5 lbs / 1650g.

I usually only run the single 20w as a helmet light and have plenty of run time but I also usually get washed out by my friends with newer led/better lights.

Can I run a better/ higher rated bulb? If I'm only running 1 bulb what is the best option to get a "brighter" or better light?
    Can I run a 12v bulb? Does that even make a difference?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Also, I've reading a lot on this forum and googling stuff but is there anywhere else I should look to read up on building a kit?
    It seems like Halogen is pretty simple to build a kit. LED seems a little more involved.

Would I also be better off trying to use my Battery pack/Charger(since that seems to be the bulk of the cost) and making a new LED light/housing mated to my battery?

Thanks again!

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl11

Would I also be better off trying to use my Battery pack/Charger(since that seems to be the bulk of the cost) and making a new LED light/housing mated to my battery?

Thanks again!
    Yes.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    OK, So we are on the same page. What are my best choices for looking at parts? I'm still trying to wrap my head around what I need to work the best with what I have ?

Halogen i'm getting and seeing lots of cheap kits. Still not sure what's my best LED kit options?

thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Same boat

I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to convert a Vistalite Code 15 halogen headlight to LED for more efficiency. You need to list the measurements of the space you have to work with. Like I measured my housing at 35mm diameter at the bezel where the reflector met the window. The depth was about 20mm. I found a 35mm optic (Ledil EVA) that works with the Cree MC-E I intended to use, but the beam was not tight enough, so I think I will use a Cree XR-E, Luxeon K2 TFFC, or a Cree XP-G when it comes out (soon-fingers crossed).

The problem is mainly the curved surfaces I needed to mate the heat sink to. Darned LED heat sink requirements. Drat. Does yours have curved internal surfaces?

It requires a lot more than just dropping in the LED and optic. And then there are driver requirements.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMark
    You need to list the measurements of the space you have to work with. Like I measured my housing at 35mm diameter at the bezel where the reflector met the window. The depth was about 20mm. I found a 35mm optic (Ledil EVA) that works with the Cree MC-E I intended to use, but the beam was not tight enough.
    Fraen make a 35mm reflector with a much tighter beam than the Ledil EVA. I am not sure about your 20mm depth being deep enough for it. Google a datasheet for it to see all the dimensions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'd have to start from scratch for a housing the Supergo halogens are plastic. If I was going LED.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ok, for a simple quick fix to replace my existing bulb. What happens if I switch out the 6v 20 watt bulb with a 12v 20 watt? I've been looking on some of the light shops websites and can't seem to find a 6v 20 watt.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Changing from 6V to 12V

You would also have to change to a 12V battery pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl11
    Ok, for a simple quick fix to replace my existing bulb. What happens if I switch out the 6v 20 watt bulb with a 12v 20 watt? I've been looking on some of the light shops websites and can't seem to find a 6v 20 watt.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Fraen 35mm reflector

I only have 20mm for the heat sink and optics, so if I use the Frean (about 17mm deep), my sink would be only a few mm thick - possibly OK. But reflectors like that one have a wide spill that I find annoying and a sharp cut off on the spot that people have remarked is not comfortable to ride behind. I think the optics don't exist yet in the 35mm size for the MC-E that I need yet. I may have to wait for XP-G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    Fraen make a 35mm reflector with a much tighter beam than the Ledil EVA. I am not sure about your 20mm depth being deep enough for it. Google a datasheet for it to see all the dimensions.
    Sorry for hijacking your thread Tony

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It's all good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have completed my vistalite mods each with 3 cree xre q5s and ledil optics(narrow for helmet, and medium for bars) and they work great. On low the helmet is comparable to a 15w halogen bulb. With both on I can SEE. I used the inexpensive kd p7 driver mounted behind the triple pcb. I had to hog out the inside fins and remove the pin connector for the bulb but the original switch works as both power on/off and momentary switch to change levels. Also added some copper inside and out for heat transfer. Indoors, it heats up and switches to low in seconds, but in use I have not had it power down from heat as long as I am moving at all. All other parts are stock: nightstick batteries with y-connector, handlebar switch for on/off/dimming, and cables
    rufusbduck

Members who have read this thread: 0