MJ880 Clone expirament- Mtbr.com
    RAKC

MJ880 Clone experiment

I wanted to try the whole 3X XP series emitters on a single mcpcb thing. Originally I bought the spacer and 1 triple from MTN to try it in a flashlight. Well flashlights i have it doesnt work (need a new host flashlight, just havent bought it yet).

Realizing the diameter of the mcpcbs and dimensions of the spacers, thought"Pretty dang close to the MJ880 clone inside" as I have the one that has the large aluminum pills (with reflectors till I added spacers to use optics instead)

So I tore it down to check to see if the triple assembly with optics would fit. Couldnt believe it, with the spacers I made to fit XM-L2 optics combined with the MTNElectronics spacers, the hole set up FIT PERFECTLY!!! And on stock driver (modded to 3.0A output)

This was an experiment to see how I liked dual triples vs 2 single xm-l2's. Wishing my bt21s could fit this set up (or my yinding) because it runs SO MUCH COOLER, like 20 deg cooler on the air flow tester. But more light!

2 Triple noctigons with XP-G2 S3 3C, carclo optics to fit (gotta look for medium spot not frosted) with medium spot frosted and narrow spot, VERY NICE. The throw is actually really surprising on 2 narrow spot optics. Cant decide on dual narrow (cause spot is still fairly large) or 1 narrow one medium. Heres the pics:

It is normally PITCH BLACK in my back yard:

Last edited by tigris99; 07-21-2015 at 12:07 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Interesting Tigris. How do you have the leds wired up - ie how many leds in series & how many parallel?

RAKC
    They come pre flowed as parallel for each set of 3. So I just used each triple mcpcb to replace each single xm-l2. 2s3p layout.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Despite the theoretical problem with parallel LEDs drawing unequal current, I've been running a 6 up XPG light for a couple years now in a 2S3P configuration. I did measure the Vf of each LED to make the parallel sets when I assembled it.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

RAKC
    The set up is fairly nice, throw is really sweet on the carclo narrow spot optics. And output is a little above the xm-l2 set up. Just cant figure out for the life of me why i cant get the full 3A outta the driver I normally get to the XM-L2 (on the tester for the current draw off the pack). Ran into this with the XP-L V6s when I tried to put in my helmet bt21. Works peachy in the Yinding though.

Edit: Well fixed that now, hehe. Sense resistor mod, OH YA now we are talking SERIOUS light lol. Cant put XM-L2s back in it though, talk about heat issues from hell at what will be around 3.6-3.7A to them.

RAKC
    Vanc, I didn't really worry about it for this purpose, trying to take the time and money to match all 6 is too much of a headache for me. lol. Not sure if there would be any functional issues besides not functioning optimally

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I would expect the supplier of the pre-soldered triple star to have matched the Vf's at assembly.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    ......Cant put XM-L2s back in it though, talk about heat issues from hell at what will be around 3.6-3.7A to them.
    My current helmet lamp is smaller than the 880 clone and runs 3.5A on high. Takes about 6-8mph of 50-65 degree air to keep it comfortably warm.

RAKC
    Well its MTN Electronics, so Im betting Rich does, hes particular like that.

So I took out for a test ride tonight, HOLY CRAP!!! Not sure how long the stock driver will put up with it, but 3.1-3.2A on high is nuts. It actually puts out the same light on medium as the bt70 does on high, then bt70 turbo mode is noticeably brighter, but not a huge difference.

I did take video of both bt70 and this, I cant tell a difference to save my life. this on medium bt70 on high, since i recorded on same segments of trails, I have no idea which is which, beam pattern and all is the same, only see difference in the spill down near the tire which camera cant see.

That settles if for custom build though. Triple set ups on carclo optics. will make the head smaller too since the height of the mcpcb and optics is a fair bit shorter than xm-l2 with standard sized optics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Edit: Well fixed that now, hehe. Sense resistor mod, OH YA now we are talking SERIOUS light lol. Cant put XM-L2s back in it though, talk about heat issues from hell at what will be around 3.6-3.7A to them.
    What have you done here, what and how was fixd?

Nice to see you made it. I have more than one MJ880 clones at home. Some moded for TIR optics. The last NW XM-L2 version still in stock setup.

RAKC
    I did the sense resistor mod so I get over 3A now for these (was getting 3A on XM-L2 with previous sense resistor mod), just added a second extra sense resistor (2 on top of the stock one) to get the current where I want it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What was the values of both resistors added? Just want to know if I would need to add more then one.

RAKC
    R400 and R500.

RAKC
    Went out and got a full lap in on my local trails (their a TOTAL mess, got some work to do from last round of storms clearing down fall and clearing weeds back again) and LOVING this light idea. I did change the optics on one side, medium frosted spot. Much better, think I may go duals of those optics, dont know yet. I rode around on low mode alot till I got to where its mostly descending back to the trail access, hit medium and just blasted. Kinda had to anyway, not sure risk of a pack of coyotes tailing me but wasnt waiting around to find out.

OMG I also understand now why the heat advisory is all night too!!! After that I was soaked in sweat and just exhausted. From a 25 min ride.....

Anyway got video too with the new camera, think I got it worked out now and loving the video quality vs my ION air at night.

RAKC
    ALright, now just cause I can, the remote button from my fenix has a new home,lol. Was useless on the fenix, but now I can change modes easily.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Pictures or ain't happened!

RAKC
    going to bed, will load them tomorrow

RAKC
    Here you go ledoman, it's just direct wired. And of course only operates mode switch which is all I need the remote for anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks Tigris. Just wanted to see how/where you managed to put the switch wires. Internaly I can imagine how it is done. And yes, you only need mode switching during riding anyway.

I shurely need to get some of those external switches. Not very cheap or you have found any cheaper than the first ones?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    on ebay for $2.99, I ordered 10-pack. It is a push to talk switch (PTT) for microphone.

RAKC
    I have a few of those as well, been using those for remote adapters. The fenix one is one I have for my bc30r that was pointless for it, so I used it for a remote button for this light for now.
    Last edited by tigris99; 07-17-2015 at 12:13 AM.

RAKC
    OK and now the fun begins, triple xp-l HI 5000K (3c tint) on the way. Final tests before I begin my first build from scratch. Drill press is here, milling assembly for it on the way. Only clue im giving of my first build is its going to be a "triple" except each one of the optics will have a triple behind it

more emitters at lower current equals more light for less heat, that is the plan. Cooler running head, but more light that any triple xm-l2. But $12 a triple for G2s or $20 a triple for XP-L HI's (on copper noctigons of course) emitters will cost more than any other light head I own lol.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hopefully the XPL hi makes a good beam with small triple optics. The XPG was always too floody for my preference with small optics. Almost OK with 35mm triples, but still a lot of flood.

RAKC
    Ya im hoping I get same effect as it did when I dedomed xm-l2 and 15deg optics. it tightened up and had flashlight level throw

RAKC
    Alright, found an optics combo I like. narrow spot and medium frosted spot. Also tried running my camera chest mount tonight well see how the video turned out that way.

6 xp-g2 s3 3C are really bright only running at around 2.5A 3p2s (845mA approx per emitter). basically my medium mode.

Also in what I can see the XP-L HI that I ordered is still really low bin range (all thats available atm) and seeing as they throw like xp-g2, im hard pressed to say XP-L HI in their place. if modding optics pays off then maybe regular dome XP-L.

But well see....

RAKC
    Ok I have the XP-L HI triple installed on one side.

Impressions so far: More light than my xp-g2 s3s. Not alot (these are only u5 bin, not v5 or v6 as they are not available yet) but noticeable. Couple hundred lumens Im guessing. Sorry sphere project hasnt really been messed with yet to give exact figures.

Beam pattern is identical to xp-g2s. No extra throw or anything like that beyond the little extra you get from more lumens.

Also got more carclo optics so I had all the versions for the triples. The wide angle beam is like a 10x45deg. rather narrow at least with XP-L Hi emitters. I accidently installed wrong (rotated 90 deg) and made a Fenix beam pattern lol. Not sure why but the wide beam doesnt extend up much at all, but extends down noticeably.