• 08-31-2008
    wmalan
    MiNewt Mini-USB vs MiNewt Mini-USB PLUS
    I see REI has the plain MiNewt at $78.99 and the PLUS at $99.99. What's the diff?

I'm thinking a MiNewt X2 for the bars and the MiNewt Mini-USB for the helmet would make a good all around setup for my after work 2 hr rides. (XC... no real "bombing")

--
    Bill
  • 08-31-2008
    joe4702
    The plus comes with a helmet mount. No other diff that I know of.
  • 08-31-2008
    notaknob
    Cables, etc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wmalan
    I see REI has the plain MiNewt at $78.99 and the PLUS at $99.99. What's the diff?

I'm thinking a MiNewt X2 for the bars and the MiNewt Mini-USB for the helmet would make a good all around setup for my after work 2 hr rides. (XC... no real "bombing")

From what I've seen at REI, the difference is you get a helmet mount and extension cable.

Pricepoint posts pictures of the contents of both kits. plain, plus.
  • 09-02-2008
    wmalan
    Helmet mount and ext? Sounds like a decent deal.

Thanks guys.

--
    Bill
  • 09-11-2008
    rekibtm
    This is the setup I have been thinking of getting X2 on th ebars and a usb on the helmet. How good of a light is the Minewit usb? would it be suitable for night riding until I can afford the X2?
  • 09-11-2008
    rkj__
    The USB is a very affordable light, but I did not realize that the light output was less than the X2. At only 110 lumens, it is only a little better (if at all) than a Dinotte 200L at 50%.

I ride with a 200L Dual, for a total of 400 lumens, which gets me through 24h races without too much trouble. Running with only one (200 lumens) is a little dim, especially if you want to go quick. If i then dim that to 50% (100 lumens) things get VERY dark out on the trail. I would not recommend a 110 lumen light as your sole source of lighting out on the trail. Perhaps it would be manageable, if you know the trail really well, and are not in a rush, but it won't be awesome.
  • 09-11-2008
    MtbMacgyver
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rkj__
    The USB is a very affordable light, but I did not realize that the light output was less than the X2. At only 110 lumens, it is only a little better (if at all) than a Dinotte 200L at 50%.

I ride with a 200L Dual, for a total of 400 lumens, which gets me through 24h races without too much trouble. Running with only one (200 lumens) is a little dim, especially if you want to go quick. If i then dim that to 50% (100 lumens) things get VERY dark out on the trail. I would not recommend a 110 lumen light as your sole source of lighting out on the trail. Perhaps it would be manageable, if you know the trail really well, and are not in a rush, but it won't be awesome.

I noticed that the specs for the USB and X2 are different as well. I wonder if they're really using a different LED or different bin or whether its a marketing ploy to help justify the higher price of the X2. The X2 does have a few other features, but I don't think they really matter for most people. I have an X2 in my collection of lights, and I've almost been willing to pay $79 just to see if the USB version really puts out less light, but not quite......

Anybody have both and can give a comparison?