MCE build- Mtbr.com

Thread: MCE build

mtbr member

MCE build

Hi,

I've attached a picture of my new bike light. Thanks to everyone who I borrowed ideas from, mostly people on this forum and Candlepower Forums.

The important features:

Cree MCE warm white wired 2s 2p
    Two Kaidoman "Highly Efficient LED Circuit Board" using the PT4105 integrated circuit
    Optic is a Ledil LM1-RS
    Cateye mount (can switch between bar and helmet)
    4x18650 Lithium cells from Battery Space
    Connector from All Electronics, Catalog Number CON-320
    Weight with handlebar mount and lithium battery: 309g

The body is cut from a piece of 1" aluminum tubing obtained from my local hardware store. The end flanges and caps were cut from sheet aluminum using various size hole saws. The flanges were glued in place with ordinary epoxy glue. I did all the machine work using a drill press and a chop saw.

Because the LED is wired with two drivers in parallel, the light can be run with any battery between 6 and (I believe) 18 volts. I modified the circuit boards to limit the current to 0.7 A output. I did not attempt to include a way to adjust the intensity of the light.

As others have noted, the beam quality from the MCE is not as concentrated as with some other emitters. Maybe it's better as a bar light than a helmet light, but I plan to make another and use them both ways. The amount of light appears to be adequate for anything I'm likely to use it for. I'm hoping that the warm white color of the light will make the roots and rocks that are common on my local trails stand out better than the more blue colored LEDs I'm currently using.

Walt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Walt Dizzy; 04-06-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added picture more in focus

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Clean build there. I do like the flanges. Would not have guessed they were hole saw cut and epoxied on. Nice.

mtbr member
    Nice little light, Walt

I have just moved over to warmer white LED's and although at first they don't apear to be as bright as the cold white ones things look more real, grass actually looks green and roots look like roots..... I think you'll be pleased.

Oh and what switch is that?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I got sen two P7's from one from DX and the other Kaidom.
    I was fed up when i lit the Kaidom one as it appeared yellowish/warm but as people have been findind out they show up a hell of alot more on the trail than the bluish tint leds.
    Tommo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty
    Nice little light, Walt

I have just moved over to warmer white LED's and although at first they don't apear to be as bright as the cold white ones things look more real, grass actually looks green and roots look like roots..... I think you'll be pleased.

Oh and what switch is that?

The switch is a simple, inexpensive clicky with a silicone rubber dome, also from Kaidoman.
    My earlier lights used toggles and rubber boots from Digikey. Nice stuff, but the parts costs really add up. One of my goals in this build was to keep the costs low.

Walt

Members who have read this thread: 0