MC-E Wiring for newbies- Mtbr.com

Feb 2009

MC-E Wiring for newbies

I am completely new to building lights but want to get into it. I managed to source some cheap MC-Es, individually addressable parallel star boards and ledil boom lenses. Looking at them, I cannot see how to wire up the mc-e and still be able to mount the lens. I don't really care about individually addressing the emitters. Any photos, directions to instructions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My experience with the Ledil optics holders is that you need to cut away part of the holder to clear the wiring soldered to a star. They are designed to work when the emitter is soldered to a full circuit board.

The optics holder for the carclo 20 mm optics have nice clearance area for star wiring. Too bad Ledil did not include that in their design.

Feb 2009
    Thanks for that. Hard to believe that they didn't take it into account when they did the design work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yes, but unfortunately I think Ledil design their optics for when the LED is mounted direct to an application PCB. i.e. not using a star. if they are used in that way the ledil design is an advantage as is has a decent area to stick down by.

So it is actually a good design for what is intended, just no good for most of us

Members who have read this thread: 0