MC-E 35mm optics?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

MC-E 35mm optics?

Im doing a helmet light with a single MC-E and i need a 35mm optic. Which is the best. Whats the uitcome on the eva?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Msxtr had very good throw with his light. Impressive for a MC-E.
    Thread here.

mtbr member
    ahh yes the `steel` heatsink light, ... wonder is he modded it ?
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

I spelled Knievel wrong
    The Fraen 35mm reflectors give a spectacular beam from what I hear. You can get them here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=220940

I have personally used the EVA-D on several builds and it is good for a helmet light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Fraen reflectors are the tightest, cleanest spot I've ever seen. The spill angle is ~90deg, and the transition from spot to spill is kinda' sudden. Objects vanish when they move out of the spot and into the spill. It wasn't a relaxing pattern to ride behind at all.

I like the EVA-D the best so far. It's a 16deg beam, with a smooth transition from beam to spill. It doesn't have the throw of a tighter beam, but it works well enough.

Opinions differ on the Polymer Optics 225. I find the beam to be maddeningly asymmetrical, other people like it a lot. It's not a robust optic, and you would have to sand the corners off to get it into an MR-11 housing. According to PO, the 225 and the 207 are the same reflector. The 225 gets a diffuser on the front, where the 207 does not.

Khatod is making several interesting-looking new optics for the MC-E. They're offering a 12 and 25deg beam in a TIR optic with excellent efficiency. I'm waiting for several to tinker with. Call Khatod USA and ask them.

Eamon

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i went with the eva d since i got my mc-e from bram and he also had those in stock. so far i hear good things so it should be nice. i think it will compliment my double mc-e nicely

Spanish biker
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Msxtr had very good throw with his light. Impressive for a MC-E.
    Thread here.
    Yes, you are right, I prefer the DX optic to the Ledil optics, here some examples

DX optic

DX optic

Ledil EVA-D

Ledil EVA-D

Ledil EVA-M

Ledil EVA-M

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am happy with EVA. I tried Polymer 225, Boom S and optic that I got with fixture from DX (believe that are same as MSXTR's). EVA have nice soft spot, Boom and Polymer have trouble with Cutter's PCB (soldered wires have to be very tin and as far from the led as possible). Polymer is expensive, very fragile, and with ugly spot. DX have is middle angle, with evident artefact in the spot - it may not be so bad on the trail.

EVA is nice, as narrow, middle or wide. I can hardly believe that MSXTR have EVA D on the picture above. EVA D is narrow and spoted much more than optic from DX.
    Last edited by frozen; 04-05-2009 at 12:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well i went with the same fixture you did frozen so if the optic that came with it is the same as msxtr's then i can try out both and see which one i like better. Now the unavoidable waiting game for parts to come in.

Spanish biker
    Quote Originally Posted by frozen
    I am happy with EVA. I tried Polymer 225, Boom S and optic that I got with fixture from DX (believe that are same as MSXTR's). EVA have nice soft spot, Boom and Polymer have trouble with Cutter's PCB (soldered wires have to be very tin and as far from the led as possible). Polymer is expensive, very fragile, and with ugly spot. DX have is middle angle, with evident artefact in the spot - it may not be so bad on the trail.

EVA is nice, as narrow, middle or wide. I can hardly believe that MSXTR have EVA D on the picture above. EVA D is narrow and spoted much more than optic from DX.
    Hi, I assure to you that the pics are real. The DX optic is more narrow and clear than the EVA-D, if well the wide of the DX optic are very well to ride with the bike, at least I like very much this beam to ride with my bike.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My camera is very old and bad, but these two pictures have been taken in the same auto mode
    Eva D and DX optic (dark top right corner on DX is my mistake):
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I definitely like the eva more in those pictures. But just for kicks ill try both out and put up some beamshots.

Members who have read this thread: 0