Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Maxflex wiring / Design input?

890 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  crux 
#1 · (Edited)
Was getting ready to finish off the light this evening. After wiring everything up it no longer works. Troubleshooting down the LEDs still light up, switch checks out, battery is good. Thinking I miss wired the Maxflex. Any pictorials or wiring diagrams one could check on this thing?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
crux said:
Was getting ready to finish off the light this evening. After wiring everything up it no longer works. Troubleshooting down the LEDs still light up, switch checks out, battery is good. Thinking I miss wired the Maxflex. Any pictorials or wiring diagrams one could check on this thing?

Thanks in advance.
Best think you could do is take a photo of it as is and the eagle eyes can check it out and maybe spot the problem

#4 · (Edited)
I found the problem in the grounding wire. Light worked perfect at least until I attempted to adjust the settings. Was only attempting to hit 700mA, however think it went up to 1000 or 1200mA. Dang thing gets HOT real quick when pumping so much juice thru it. Now one of the emitters is dead. Might try and mill out the emitter later this afternoon and try again.:madman:

Anyways some quicky photos of the work.
Attempted to maximize surface area in turning several rings. It is a three piece design with an optics bezel, main body which holds the emitters and las but not least a back section containing the switch and MaxFlex board. Maxflex board has a copper sink that fans out into the rear housing holding everything tight and transfers additional heat. Thing the main reason for the failure is that the light was not fully assembled when I was programming taking out the entire rear section of sink. Maxflex was sitting on a CPU sink which should of been more than satisfactory for dispercing heat. Only question is what mode will the MaxFlex repower back up into after the LEDs burned up. Got to admit it was my fault in not fully understanding the directions and proceeding forward.

Any advice on the heat sink design would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

#6 ·
zen bicycle said:
Does the copper slug have any direct connection to the light body? Otherwise when you cram them in there and seal it up you are using air to transmit heat away from the copper to the aluminum body greatly reducing the efficency of the copper heat sink.
Yep the copper slug will be thermal epoxied down into the housing when it is sealed up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.