Making your own gaskett.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Making your own gaskett.

I haven't seen this anywhere so I figured I would contribute what I can to the forum. I got this trick from camping and sealing the seams on my diy tent tarps and such.
    I don't have pictures of this process but I will try to remember to grab the camera next time.

First you need 5 things.

• A container with a flat bottom that is a bit larger than the gasket size needed
    • Ultra Black Gasket Maker - or a similar silicone gasket maker
    • Paint thinner
    • a container to mix the concoction
    • mixing stick - I use free chop stix from the local Chinese joint

The process is easy, Just squeeze some gasket maker into the mixing container and then add paint thinner until it is of a consistency to pour and self level. Mix it really well.
    Then lightly grease the mold or flat bottomed container, you can get a quart or 1gal metal paint can at the hardware store, the lid is perfect. Place this on a level surface and pour the mixture in and let it set until dry.

The paint thinner will evaporate out of the mixture and voila you have a custom gasket.

You can add items where needed for screw holes or optic holes or just cut it out after. A paper hole punch works great for screws and you can get tarp punches that would work for the optic holes.

Anyway, I am sure some of you knew this but I haven't seen it anywhere and figured I would try to contribute. It works great and is fairly cheap.
    Sometimes your the windshield, other times just the bug. That's life. (c:
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Great tip Streamline. I'll try it next time I need a thin gasket. Thanks

Jez

mtbr member
    Or you can cut one out of a bicycle innertube.. I heard of using pond liner to..

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    They also have gasket material in the plumbing section that is a bit thicker. I like the above way because the gasket is easily compressed so it is a super tight fit.
    Sometimes your the windshield, other times just the bug. That's life. (c:
    Mountain Biking Apparel

Members who have read this thread: 0