Making HDPE battery soldering tools- Mtbr.com
    Carbon8er

Making HDPE battery soldering tools

It got to be a pain to hold batteries in a certain shape and solder them together to make battery packs.

And so I decided to make some tools that will hold 3x18650 and 4x18650 batteries while I solder them together.

The material is HDPE (cutting board material). It is so nice to machine, I have made lots of things using HDPE.

I cut these out on my CNC machine.

Here's a few shots.
    More shots and info on this page.
    https://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights28.htm

Person
    Sep 2005
    Why just use those for soldering them together? Get some contacts on the ends and you have some nice battery packs with no soldering required.

Carbon8er
    I don't use battery holders.

I like soldered battery packs because the connection is way better than some little battery spring.

Also, all the batteries charge and discharge at the same exact rate. You can get way different charges on batteries that are charged individually.

Another reason is that soldered and heat shrinked battery packs do not jiggle around and make possible intermittent contact.

You need a super reliable and clean connection to run a high amperage LED like a SSc P7 that runs at 2.8amps.

It's not so important for low current applications as it is for high current applications.

I ride in pisgah forest, NC.
    The riding is very violent and things will fall apart if they are not built right.
    Soldering the batteries, good wire and very good connectors are the only way to go for high reliablilty

mtbr member
    ..... i thought everybody would stick the cells together with hot melt glue or silicon sealer/ window caulking before soldering
    this keeps them from possibly rubbing against each other too (a very bad thing)
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

Carbon8er
    Nah, only if the cells were loose and could rub against each other.

I have built packs like this since about 1996 without any problems.

The cells are tight against each other and do not move and so, they do not rub against each other. I make one wrap of black electrical tape in the middle of the pack to hold them in place before the heat shrinking.

I do use a dab or two of hot glue on the ends to tack those plastic end covers in place.
    Then the heat shrink goes on.

Members who have read this thread: 0