Making 8-cell MagicShine pack from 2 4-cell packs?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Making 8-cell MagicShine pack from 2 4-cell packs?

I have been running out of juice on long night rides with my MagicShine (older style). Changing packs out in mid-ride is a PIA, as I ride in a group. I would like to combine the two packs into one so I don't have to stop. I know this is doable, but worried about all of the cells being balanced, since they have been run as seperate packs. I could buy a different battery, but that seems a bit of a waste since both of my existing packs work fine. Anyone tried this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    OT but have you heard about the battery recall? Some has caught fire :S

mtbr member
    I don't think there is a lipo out there that isn't capable of catching fire, although I have heard the Chinese lipos are more likely than others. MagicShine's cheapo chargers don't help either. I use a Mulitplex charger (also used for my RC cars/planes) and keep the cells in a can when they are charging.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    MagicShine's caught fire during storage and people say it's due to the low quality of the batpacks. Seems like you've got it under control tho

mtbr member
    connecting two smaller packs in parallel to get more capacity is nothing new
    just charge them both and make up an adapter to connect everything up
    ...... and go ride!
    you could check the capacity and charge terminal voltage on your Mulitplex charger
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

Do It Yourself
    Have you considered using the medium power setting? I used mine on medium most of the time and it was more than enough light for cruising around. This gives 50% more run time. Also, you could consider a DIY pack with some fresh higher capacity cells such as the Panasonic NCR18650 or Samsung ICR18650. They cost more but are top quality. A DIY pack is probably a good idea anyway considering the pending MS battery recall from Geoman. I would try either of those before I went to the trouble and risks with a 2s4p pack.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    How long are you riding? If you go the DIY route, you could probably get away with a 6 cell pack using some newer, better quality, higher capacity cells.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

mtbr member
    i like your style klynk!!
    10Ah? hell how many lightheads you got
    great for a dusk till dawn jaunt
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drea
    MagicShine's caught fire during storage and people say it's due to the low quality of the batpacks. Seems like you've got it under control tho
    Have you had one of YOURS catch on fire? If not, the just let it go already.
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwarner57
    I have been running out of juice on long night rides with my MagicShine (older style). Changing packs out in mid-ride is a PIA, as I ride in a group. I would like to combine the two packs into one so I don't have to stop. I know this is doable, but worried about all of the cells being balanced, since they have been run as seperate packs. I could buy a different battery, but that seems a bit of a waste since both of my existing packs work fine. Anyone tried this?

You can run unbalanced packs in parallel, it'll work fine. You'll face no stranger issues with the cell mismatch than someone running a single MS battery. Once those MS batteries finally die look at making a high capacity pack using RC batteries as pointed out above.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
    Have you had one of YOURS catch on fire? If not, the just let it go already.
    What's your problem? Trying to bring attention to a problem and you attack me?

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...d=196811798535

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY HEY ITS HENDO
    i like your style klynk!!
    10Ah? hell how many lightheads you got
    great for a dusk till dawn jaunt
    It's frickin' autumn here - 5.30 p.m. and it's DARK outside, so when we ride on weekends, we need minimum 5 hours of runtime.
    And - it's better more, than less
    Anyway, such bottle-batterypack might be useful for marathon-racers.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I really should break down and get one of these:
    http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...28&pid=NPQ7141
    I'm just too cheap, I suppose. Plus, I like the suspense of using batteries that could explode at any time When they blow up, do you get little scraps of Chinese newspaper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drea
    What's your problem? Trying to bring attention to a problem and you attack me?

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...d=196811798535

There's threads all over MTBR already on this. Considering the number MS batteries in circulation the risk of fire is very low. And all kinds of batteries, past and present have started fires. Handle them carefully and live life. No need to bring it up in every thread.

Members who have read this thread: 0