Make or Buy?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Make or Buy?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Make or Buy?

I'm thinking of buying a NiteRider MiNewt Mini-USB LED, but thought I should consider building a light if I can get something signicantly better for the same money. I've never built a light before, and don't have access to mills, drill presses, etc so I prefer to piece it together from somebody's plans using prefabed pieces like aluminum LED flashlights, etc. The size of the NR light and battery and price are selling points for me. Any suggestions and/or plans for builds? Is there another brand/option I should consider if I buy?

mtbr member
    Making lights is a lot of fun and you can do some cool stuff, however you will end up paying about the same as if you just went out and bought a light. By the time you buy all the glue, spare parts, flashlights, wires, fry a few drivers, soldering iron, batteries, chargers, pay for shipping, and all the time you spend researching the lights and waiting for parts from 10 different sources... it is cheaper just to buy something.

With that said... making lights is very fun and you can create something that is way better than that mini-usb thing (110 lumens). Check out the DIY Dinotte thread. If you have all the tools... you can build a couple of those for less than 50 bucks... with batteries, and they are about 2x as bright as the Mini -USB...

mtbr member
    Or skip the learning curve and get a kit. Still twice the Lumens for half the $. Click below and see what I mean. ~Chris

But will admit, maybe not as fun as starting from ground zero

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sdnative
    Or skip the learning curve and get a kit. Still twice the Lumens for half the $. Click below and see what I mean. ~Chris

But will admit, maybe not as fun as starting from ground zero
    Thanks, this is just what I was looking for. I did check out the Dinotte thread, lots of good info, but more than I wanted to get in to. Does anybody knowhow much their 800 kit runs? The site is still under construction.

As a side, I started looking at a Dinotte 200 for $129 w/o batteries and charger instead of the NR Minewt for $99. Please discuss.

mtbr member
    Check the sig (down below this msg) ...website should be up aside from a few support pages and the final pricing. A price is listed on the MTBR classified ad to get an idea of the range. Or send me a PM, we can talk via email.

Will be more $ than the two you mentioned ...but 4X the light also. 200Lu will leave you wanting a lot more trust me; I'm not the only one here who will say that either.

I went from a 15 halogen to 500 lumens, never looked back. Now ride with almost 2000 total (helmet + bar; Eva and an X5) and feel like I have found my happy point for my speed and vision limits. ~Chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sdnative
    Check the sig (down below this msg) ...website should be up aside from a few support pages and the final pricing. A price is listed on the MTBR classified ad to get an idea of the range. Or send me a PM, we can talk via email.

Will be more $ than the two you mentioned ...but 4X the light also. 200Lu will leave you wanting a lot more trust me; I'm not the only one here who will say that either.

I went from a 15 halogen to 500 lumens, never looked back. Now ride with almost 2000 total (helmet + bar; Eva and an X5) and feel like I have found my happy point for my speed and vision limits. ~Chris
    Thanks for the info. I'm gonna have to get my head around all this, more $$ than I was initially thinking of spending. I haven't really been shopping for a light, just sold my 10 y.o. NR Dig Pro-6 yesterday. Starting to gather info on the what's new. I like having lots of light with easily available power source and upgradable hardware. Anybody else?

mtbr member
    search the threads ...best way to find what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Borison
    As a side, I started looking at a Dinotte 200 for $129 w/o batteries and charger instead of the NR Minewt for $99. Please discuss.
    Do not do that!
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=482921
    I have spent 150$ on "My First project" with 4*R2, or 2x100$ on two second with MCE. Only thing that require mill is one back cover for MCE or central plate for R2.
    Without connector and with cheaper driver and switch it can be made for cca 70$

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I don't agree that you will end up spending the same. You can go like me and use entirely off-the-shelf parts and batteries at $75, and get 400+ lumens (...ghettofied lumens).

Or you can also spend about that much, or a touch more, and a little more time and order separate drivers and housings/optics, or if you can even do a little custom fabrication and machining, and end up with something just as nice as retail, with multiple modes and nice beam patterns from the other things I've seen on here.

Personally I don't mind my ghetto crap for a number of reasons, one being that the driver, emitter, and optic are one item, one $9 item, so if something happens I just replace that no questions asked. I haven't even been running a lense over it, in the rain, in light of that price figure. Also if it gets stolen or lost, the total cost of one of the heads is maybe $20. I can't say the same for a retail light. Same goes if the batteries get lost/stolen. With already knowing how to put it together, and with all the materials and tools already at hand, another another one could be built in about an hour, with dilligence.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Or you can strap 2 of these to your bars for $30.50 each ( free P&P ) think 650lumens

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22567

Strap 1 of these to your helmet with a small reflector mod to tighten the spot and remove the annoying black hole in the middle, $44.02 think 700lumens.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16500

Then 6 batterys $30, charger $10

Total cost $145.02
    Total Estimated but real ish lumens 2000 baby

And if 1 of your 3 lights fail, you've still got 2, modular has it's bonus's, as well as lending to tight mates to get them night riding!!

Members who have read this thread: 0