Made Permanently Installed Solar Powered Lighting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Made Permanently Installed Solar Powered Lighting

Last year I made and installed permanently installed Solar powered lighting on my commuter/cargo bike.

Ordered a Solar charged Power Bank from eBay. It holds two 18650 Lithium Ion batteries. Took all the parts out of it and started from the beginning making the lighting system. It got a charge controller and 2 switches to control the Front light and the Running Lights. Also included 2 yellow LEDs facing side to side plus 2 white LEDs facing down to the road.
    Made Permanently Installed Solar Powered Lighting-img_2440.jpg

Made Permanently Installed Solar Powered Lighting-img_2461.jpg

On the back baskets are 4 red LEDs facing the rear and 2 more white LEDs facing the road. You can also see the yellow Sidelights on the solar panel under the seat post. These are all regular 5mm LEDs, but their faces have been ground Flat so they are Wide Angle without a beam.
    Made Permanently Installed Solar Powered Lighting-img_2447.jpg

The front facing lights have not been finished yet but I have the prototype up there. The main light is a 1 watt warm white LED inside of an electrical conduit connector to focus the light mainly forward and keep it aimed low to keep out of other drivers eyes. There are 4 fast color changing LEDs mounted over the main light which creates a Busy Colorful Pattern that can really catch a drivers attention. There are also 2 more white LEDs on each side of the forks aimed down at the road.
    Made Permanently Installed Solar Powered Lighting-img_2453.jpg

Front- 1 high power white with 4 color flashers
    Rear- 4 red
    Sides- 2 yellow
    Road- 6 white

The solar panel is 6 volt at 333ma which equals 2 watts. The TP4056 charge controller is made for 18650 Lithium batteries and will keep them very happy. In the event that there is not enough Sun to keep the batteries full, they can be easy removed from the power bank for external charging.

Have been using this for about a month now and I can easily see that the car drivers can see me coming.

I am using raw LEDs for this project which require proper current limiting resisters for each color and type of LED used.

and it's my First Post . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Made Permanently Installed Solar Powered Lighting-img_2458.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Wow , I mentioned bike lights that are Solar Powered & Permanently installed, got no reaction. I have never heard of either of these things on a bicycle. Thought it would be too interesting to you guys ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Doesn’t seem to be much traffic here as of late, WH.

Perhaps you might post this on Bike Forums under Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets

https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...hting-gadgets/

P.S.: Cool setup, dude. I’m a [recumbent] cargo mtbiker myself but lack the skills and knowhow to attempt anything like what you’ve done. So have to charge the dozen lights on my bike (and trailer) all separately before each ride and it is one royal PITA.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WooferHound View Post
    Wow , I mentioned bike lights that are Solar Powered & Permanently installed, got no reaction. I have never heard of either of these things on a bicycle. Thought it would be too interesting to you guys ?
    You're not in the best forum to get interest. Not really applicable/appropriate for mt biking which is more the focus here.

Since there are so many low cost options in commercial high power LED bike lights, most of the folks that used to be active here have little motivation to do DIY stuff any longer.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html