Looking for new 14.8V 18650 4S1P pack or DIY help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking for new 14.8V 18650 4S1P pack or DIY help

I have an older Nightlightning iBlaast light (1000 lumen) that I was going to upgrade to 3x Cree XML LEDs (2000 lumen). The battery pack I have now is the Tenergy Li-Ion 14.8V 2200mAh and is 7 years old; it does not seem to last very long before the light starts giving a low battery warning on high. When it was new it worked fine, but 2200mAh gave about the minimum acceptable run time on high output.

I've done some research and it looks like the best upgrade option is a 4S1P pack using the Panasonic NCR18650 B or G cells to get 3400 mAh capacity. However, I'm not finding a lot of options for pre-assembled battery packs in this configuration. I'm not opposed to building one either.

The only pre-assembled options I have found are:
    hunk_lee on ebay - good price, is quality good?
    all-battery - seems expensive

To DIY I would just need the cells and a 4S1P holder, correct?
    I see lots of choices for 2S2P packs, but not a lot for 4S1P.
    Is this batteryspace holder any good? Then I would buy unprotected cells to fill it?
    Or I saw this one from Digikey recommended. I would have to get protected cells, or a separate protection PCB to use it?

It looks like the 18650 3400mAh cells can be purchased lots of places for under $10 each, so I don't see why some of the assembled packs cost $100 or more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    JustMtnB44, please post up what you decide to go with and how it all worked out for you. I have the same light and need to replace my dying battery.

mtbr member
    I decided to order the holder with PCB from batteryspace and 4 Panasonic NCR18650B cells from Liion Wholesale Batteries | Li-ion battery distributor because they are in the same state as me (no shipping from China) and only sell genuine Panasonic cells. The total cost with shipping ended up being slightly more than the ebay battery I linked above, but I prefer the flat form factor over square for putting the battery pack in my backpack or pocket. I will update this thread once I receive the parts and put it together.

mtbr member
    I received the parts and put the pack together a week ago. The batteryspace holder is ok but not great. I would like to see better battery contacts. I had to bend them out a bit to make sure they were touching the battery contact surfaces. The provided wires are also a bit crappy and short, so I replaced them. I used a Deutsch DTM connector from work because I am tired of dealing with friction lock, tight fitting connectors. I wrapped it in tape for now until I happy that there are no issues, then I will heatshrink it. Only one ride on it so far but I never ran into the low battery warning from my light so that is good. I am waiting on the LED upgrade for the light before using it again. Here are some pics:

Looking for new 14.8V 18650 4S1P pack or DIY help-battery-light.jpgLooking for new 14.8V 18650 4S1P pack or DIY help-battery-pack.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Looks good. Care to share more details of the yellow mount? I'm looking to upgrade the mount in my light - I'm tired of the Velcro system it came with - but can't figure out how to remove the stock one.

Did you go with the upgrade kit from Nightlightning? I'm interested to see how the upgrade goes for you. Please post some photos of the process!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minneSSnowta View Post
    Looks good. Care to share more details of the yellow mount? I'm looking to upgrade the mount in my light - I'm tired of the Velcro system it came with - but can't figure out how to remove the stock one.
    I also got tired of the non adjustable velcro system. Rather than buy Nightlightning's adjustable mount which still is clunky and straps on to helmet, I designed and 3D printed a new mount to fit a standard GoPro mount, since I already had one on my helmet. The back half of the light is screwed into the front half; if you just twist them it will unscrew enough to slide out the mount. You can buy one of mine here: Nightlightning iBlaast bike light GoPro Mount (EZKC8YKN3) by JustMtnB44

Quote Originally Posted by minneSSnowta View Post
    Did you go with the upgrade kit from Nightlightning? I'm interested to see how the upgrade goes for you. Please post some photos of the process!
    I did as I couldn't find any off the shelf optics that fit the current housing. I haven't received the parts yet, maybe this week. I will update once complete.