Looking for Charger Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Looking for Charger Help

Hi All - about 18 months ago I built a dual pond-scum light with help from SCAR & members here. (I know, not as cool as LED's but it is BRIGHT). This thing is a monster so I bought a monster battery from Battery Space to drive it (14.8v 5.2ah). The problem is, I'm about to order my THIRD charger! Does anyone have recommendations for a better one than the recommended by Battery Space?

Cheers!

100% italian mtbiker
    Oct 2007
    What's wrong exactly with your charger? I had issues with the safety circuit on the battery.

I have a spare Tenergy Universal Smart Charger that is suitable for your battery voltage. If you need it, just tell me.
    I had it replaced but it turned to be ok, since the issue was in the battery pack. So I'm now using the other one I got and it works fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Good question

I'm not sure what's wrong - other than it doesn't work

How would I go about testing the charger? I'll put a VM on it tonight to see what it shows - but I'm not sure what that will tell me. The symptoms (other than not charging) are that the LED indicator isn't red or green, sort of a very dim yellow. I assume the charger only because It stoped working before (under warranty), had the same symptoms, and the replacement worked fine.

Any thoughts on how I can test this and/ or the safety circuit on the battery itself?

mtbr member
    try this.
    Our group has been using these..
    http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger
    Just need a power supply

mtbr member
    I use one of these (almost the same as heatstrokes), much better in the long run as this type of chager can be used with many types of battery.
    http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...cer/discharger

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Thanks All

Those are very nice, but a bit over the top for my use - I only have the one battery pack.

Thanks for the offer mdsjack! I'm trying to get some feedback from B.Space now. Let's see what they say.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    There are a couple of guys that sell simple chargers on candlepowerforums that would make alternatives to what batteryspace provides. Go to the CPF "marketplace" section.

I much prefer the hobby chargers myself- they don't cost all that much more, and you get a much better idea of what is happening during the charging process.

Members who have read this thread: 0