Looking For a Balance Charger- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Looking For a Balance Charger

I just burned up my second Traxxas 3 cell Li-Po charger and need a replacement to balance my battery packs.

I searched the forums and can't really tell what brands of chargers are better than others. I'm wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Things I *think* I'm looking for:

1) accepts JST connectors. (do they all use JST's?)
    2) can charge at least 6 cells at a time.
    3) it would be nice if the charger could handle more than one pack at at time. Each pack up to 6 cells.

I don't need anything that charges really fast. If an empty 6 cell pack could be charged in 12 hours that would be fast enough for me.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You should be more precise. Charging 6 cells in what setup? Do you mean 2S3P or 3S2P or 1S6P?

How did you manage to burn the charger?

Next, does it has to have AC/DC or just DC input power?

I'm using quality iCharger 106b+, but there are cheaper and good enough chargers. Look at HobbyKing. I know Turnigy Accucell-6 ones are quite good. But if you want more out of it then
    Turnigy Reaktor is a good choice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks ledoman

The packs are 2S3P and 2S packs. All are no-brand cells. Though I have an order of Panasonic cells shipping from Hunk Lee at eBay that I'll start using when the days start to get shorter.

Regarding the chargers, the first one was DOA. I plugged it in and it wouldn't light up. The second charger has an indicator light that went dark after a few months of use.

I'm ok with just DC input.

It looks like the iCharger will work nicely. Thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    This is something where I'd go to a RC hobby store and talk people, if you can get to one. Traxxas is OK, and I'm somewhat surprised it burned out, but at times, it's hard to say they are high quality.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks watts888.

In thinking about it, it's likely that the first one was a fluke or someone's returned charger that was shipped out again. The second one worked well for a while and I wouldn't be looking for a replacement had it not died.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Turnigy Accucell-6 would be good basic charger. I would not go with Imax B6 clones. I fact I have one cheapo charger, but was disapointed and it is used only for car accu charging now. Mid range is Turnigy reactor and at high mid end I would position iCharger. Of course there is plenty clones of clones out there. You may ask Garry how is satisfied with his device.

If you would want to test battery cells and battery packs it is good to have USB output so you can collect data and plot charge/discharge graphs. Then you woul know how cells/packs behaves at load. But of course it is time consuming job.

mtbr member
    And this is why I'm using my old NiMH batteries. "How well do they work?", they just work. Lipo would be nice, but that's a lot of hastle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks ledoman for the suggestions. I think that will get me headed in the right direction.

Watts888 - I've used NiMH in the past. But the LiPo's are inexpensive enough now that a little fiddling around can get me what I want fairly inexpensively.

Thanks again everyone!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No problem. Would love to hear your feedback what did you choose and how it works for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    ledoman - One more question - how many steps are necessary to charge a pack using the iCharger 106b+?

In looking at the advanced chargers it seems that there's a fair number of steps necessary to start charging the battery. One of the things that I liked about the Traxxas was that I could plug the battery in, plug the charger into the outlet and it would charge. It seems that I would be giving the simplicity up, is that correct?

mtbr member
    I use a genuine iMax B6AC V2 and it has been superb so far. The build quality is second to none and it's very configurable although I have not needed to configure it yet.

As someone said earlier, steer clear of it's clone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    iCharger remembers last mode you have used, so you just need to press Start button. Also you can store 10 job profiles (most of those chargers do), but you would need to use several buttons.
    Actualy I'm writing from memory. You better look for the iCharger manual. Please read the Recommended connecting way chapter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    iCharger remembers last mode you have used, so you just need to press Start button. Also you can store 10 job profiles (most of those chargers do), but you would need to use several buttons.
    Actualy I'm writing from memory. You better look for the iCharger manual. Please read the Recommended connecting way chapter.
    They are both very good but I think the imax is quite a bit cheaper. It also has memory for favourites but I don't think it remembers the last used. I paid 35usd for mine in HK last year. Check them both out. You can't go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks again guys. I ordered the iCharger 106b+ from ProgressiveRC off of Amazon. I'll post back on this thread in a few weeks after I've had a chance to use it.

RAKC
    wow decent chargers have come down in price, Im using my old estation BC6 from my rc helicopter days, was shortly after they came out was almost $100..... not the same thing is about half the price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The Turnigy chargers look interesting. Balance charger with LiHV support for $26 on the updated Accucell-6. Anyone know where to find the manuals for that and the other Turnigy products?

Or better yet if someone has it, is the termination voltage configurable, and what options are available?

Can it charge the 4.35V Sanyo 3000mAh cells at their intended voltage?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I wound up buying an iCharger 106b+ from ProgressiveRC off of Amazon.

It's nice to be able to see how much charge the battery can hold along with configuring the cut-off voltage and charge rate.

I have an external switching power supply from a Dell computer that I need to convert to use with it. In the meantime I'm using my benchtop power supply.

Thanks again guys!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good choice, just little expensive.