Little First timer Help...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Little First timer Help...

Iíve been reading around the Bike DIY pages and projects on here for quite a while, with the aim of having a go at making my own eventually.

Iíve decided to make a Dinotte Style unit with two Leds, my main question (which I havenít managed to work out effectively yet) is the electrical side of the unit. I understand that the beam type is completely dependant on the optics, and that will be purchased to suit the LED.

I have access to all of the lathes, industrial mills etc needed to make the housing, and a brief understanding of circuitry.

I would have liked to use p7 LEDs, but have read that they will get too hot in a 1"(ish) housing? Reading the Dinotte style thread, i've read about the Q5 and the L2 ledís that have been proven as successful, but my question is, are they the most up-to-date, as the thread is almost 3 years old.

And finally, once I have chosen an LED i believe i need a driver to "drive" the LED star, and then a switch to control the driver?

Im only after a simple on full, on dimmed, off system as itís my first attempt. And I can get onto harder systems later.

I would like to power the unit with the smallest volume of battery pack possible, which I believe can be achieved with a pack of 4-8AA's (unless this has been improved)

Can someone please help me out in matching LED Stars with drivers? And explaining how I can power two LED's (Iíve read that it may require a special driver?) and adding anything else I have forgotten cheers

PS, Im based I the UK,

Cheers

Joe

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hi Joe,
    I've just made a couple of sets these below. They do exactly what you ask and cost no more than £45, plus batteries. Realistically with this setup you need a minimum of 8x 1.5v cells or 3x lithiums in series..

They use drivers from BlackCatTech on eBay 260698979764 are £6 and work well. There is an epic thread on STW that was started by Troutie that explains everything you need to do, and if you ask him nicely might point you in the right direction to getting the leds.

mtbr member
    I would recommend XP-G R5s for the LEDs and Ledil Reginas for the reflectors - 2 of them give great throw and plenty of spill for a helmet light. For drivers, you can use Teapot drivers off eBay (search Hammond light, and you'll see Troutie's eg) which are cheap, or if you want something really nice, I'd recommend a Taskled B2flex, though they're quite a lot more money. I'd go 3x LiIon for the battery - it'll have better runtime for the weight than NiMh, although if you already have some AA cells kicking around, there's no harm in using them either.

mtbr member
    DOH! Just realised that that's exactly what keef2 wrote

Members who have read this thread: 0