Lithium battery- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lithium battery

Dec 2008

Lithium battery

I just got a dinotte 400l and I was wondering what is best for the battery? do i charge it fully and run it down fully? if I run it own to 25 percent should I plug it in and let it run dry or is this bad? I know Nimh batteries tend to remember where you plug them in a being empty does lithium do the same? what happens if i only charge it from 25percent to 75 percent is this safe? the manual does not dicus this. thanks, erik

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Lithium battery does not like to be full discharged, they have no memory effect and it is better to charge it more often, even it is not fully discharged. However thay are more sensible when are full charged. For that reason they are sold and shipped charged to 75%.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Never discharge it fully... Lipo's shouldnt be discharged under 3V per cell. 3.3V would be the safest.
    For lipos its best to charge it to 95% for the first 5 or so charges. Then give it a full 100% charge. Repeat charging the lipo to 95% for another 5 or so times then a full 100%. This increases the life of the lipo.
    I race high powered Lipo RCs and this is what ive been doing for yrs without its life being reduced.
    Also if you're thinking of storing it for long term. Best to keep it at a low, dry and steady temp with about 60% charged..

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    NiMH doesn't have memory effects either. This idea seems to be a holdover from some Nicad results from several decades ago.

Hack Racer
    correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought the DiNotte batteries were protected. Meaning there is a PCB that prevents the batteries from draining past 3V...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Oops i forgot to put in Li-Poly are not ok to discharge under 3V but you dont have to worry about Li-ion's.
    So in your case just charge them to 95% and on every 5th charge 100%.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    The advice that I'm reading on this thread is very much at odds to what I've been reading at CPF and rcgroups. I'm hardly an authority myself on these matters, so I'd recommend just going straight to those other sources and getting a broader range of opinon.

Members who have read this thread: 0