Lithium Air Batteries- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Lithium Air Batteries

Sounds great for bike light use too...

"theoretical energy densities more than 1000 times greater than the Li-ion type...Instead of using metal oxides in the positive electrode, lithium-air cells use carbon, which is lighter and reacts with oxygen from the air around it to produce an electrical current."
    Li-air batteries are one-fifth the size and they offer a lifespan at least five times as long.
    Li-air batteries are attractive for any application where weight is a primary concern, such as in mobile devices.
    More here: Air battery to let electric cars outlast gas guzzlers - tech - 06 January 2012 - New Scientist

mtbr member
    Sounds like it will be a decade before it is available, if it gets out of prototype stage.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Sounds like it will be a decade before it is available, if it gets out of prototype stage.
    The context of the article is automotive applications, significantly more challenging application.

He won't reveal what material it is but says that several research prototypes have already been demonstrated. And as part of Battery 500, an IBM-led coalition involving four US national laboratories and commercial partners, the hope is to have a full-scale prototype ready by 2013, with commercial batteries to follow by around 2020.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    sounds interesting, but how many times have we seen articles like this before? I remember 2 or 3 just within the last year that seem to have fallen off the face of the earth.

don't get me wrong, I'm excited about it, but I'm not going to hold my breath...
    I WANT TO BUY YOUR MAGICSHINE LIGHTS! Working or not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BKruahnndon View Post
    sounds interesting, but how many times have we seen articles like this before? I remember 2 or 3 just within the last year that seem to have fallen off the face of the earth.

don't get me wrong, I'm excited about it, but I'm not going to hold my breath...
    These days you can get your hands on several newer Li chemistries (LiFePO4, LiMnNi, and LiNiCoMn), so those promises of the past did pan out. They aren't breakthroughs like this but nevertheless...

Rep Power Infinity +2
    See this article IBM developing air battery with 500-mile range. It appears that IBM is on the quest for an Air battery but the batteries might be another 8 years away