Lights Lights Lights- Mtbr.com
    Grizzly

Lights Lights Lights

I have been thinking about lights latley. In fact, I have been thinking about a lot of different gear. All with the goal of becoming a faster, more efficeint, better prepared endurance racer.

I am curious about some of these LED lights that claim very long burn times. BLT and Exposure are 2 that come to mind. I have read a couple threads about each of thse lights, but wondered if anyone has any recent usage with them.

Thanks.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alizbee
    I have been thinking about lights latley. In fact, I have been thinking about a lot of different gear. All with the goal of becoming a faster, more efficeint, better prepared endurance racer.

I am curious about some of these LED lights that claim very long burn times. BLT and Exposure are 2 that come to mind. I have read a couple threads about each of thse lights, but wondered if anyone has any recent usage with them.

Thanks.
    I picked up the Dinotte LED from Performance a few weeks ago and have mounted it on the road bike. Its on sale now too. Weighs next to nothing and came with simple battery charger and instructions. It has 2 setting hi and low. It claims to run 1.5hours in hi and 3 hours in low.

I've run it 4 times now and will run it again tonight. like the instructions say they batteries have to learn how to take a charge so the first ride I did get the low power warning after about 45-mins of hi and low use. The other times I've progressively increased time and have not yet hit the warning. This Tuesday I got a good 2 hours of use because of this light on the road bike. I run it in low now all of the time and it gives a decent enough amount of light. Nothing like my ARC LiIon I use for the MTB, but for the road this LED works...and I'd use it as a backup light for MTB races. Easy install too, removes and installs in just a few blinks of the eyes.

My only incident thus far was descending into Fanta Se from the 599 overpass last Saturday. The shoulder abruptly changed to small mounds of dirt and I just barely picked up enough of an image in time to brake and steer safely on the road. I was going fast no doubt ~ would estimate above 30-mph. The Li-Ion would have picked that up way before it got to the "oh sh!t" point, and perhaps had I been in the "hi" mode I would have seen it earlier too.

If the Dinotte is one of the top LEDs (someone please educate me..) then I'd say LEDs have a ways to go to replace the Li-Ion or others similiar units. But for road or backup, this compact, small, and lightweight unit just opened up miles and hours for me after dark. Yeah, i'm pretty happy with it...all i have to do now is avoid freezing. ;-).

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    While the DiNotte is a great light, it isn't "one of the top LED's" by far. The DiNotte lights run either a single 5-watt or 3-watt Luxeon, depending on the model you purchase.

For a primary light for mountain biking, I would be looking at a light with at least two or three or more Luxeons, like a Nightlightning Endurenz, Lupine Wilma, Cateye Triple shot or Double shot or similar.

This is by no means a comprehensive list, but it will give you an idea as to what is out there.

Personally for serious mountain biking in the dark I would be looking at a light which features at least three 3-watt Luxeons in a light, or maybe a pair or 5-watt Luxeons minimum. Lights around this kind of ballpark can compare very favourably to a 20-watt halogen, but with a much higher colour temperature, and longer run times.

However Endurance racing puts a different spin on things. Lightweight housing and battery packs, and long burn times are the desirable factors, and while the light must be bright it isn’t quite as important, especially for longer solo efforts.

This is where the smaller sing and double 3 and 5-watt Luxeon based lights are awesome. Huge burn times, low height, and more then enough light to race on.

This is where lights like the DiNotte are a great option.

I'm unsure about the current USE Exposure range, but the earlier Exposure lights used two 5-watt Luxeons, but ran them at only a few watts each to gain efficiency, at the cost of light output.

They were known to be very narrow in the beam (a trait common with many single and twin Luxeon designs), but they have since changed the design to feature a pair of different optics, on of which is a wider flood, which I have heard goes some way to fix this.

I have no experience with the BLT lights.

Do a bit more reading (there are quite a few Luxeon based light discussion floating around the boards, the Endurance forum and the web), and check out these threads too:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=147669

http://www.gearreview.com/2006_led_lights.php

Cheers, Dave.

Grizzly
    Thanks for the input guys.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

Members who have read this thread: 0