Light for my wife who likes to jog....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Light for my wife who likes to jog....

My wife loves to jog. She needs something for when it gets a little dark on her and she doesn't think a headband is the way to go. I'm thinking something light and flat that could somehow attach to her with a band and around her midsection? What if it was 2 XPG (since I have a couple stars kicking around now) and they both ran off a single 18650 battery, all in one unit. Something floody that lights up the trail short range and lasts at least and hour and wouldn't burn her if she touched it.

I think flat and thin (as the battery) would be a good form factor. Anyone built something like that?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    I would think head mount is the best solution for a number of reasons .
    1 being security

it is always pointing where you are looking as you would want to look sideways and behind at times and body mounted would be awkward at best .

get one of those headstraps from EL34 and build her something with that to try
    it could be strapped to her torso for a trial too .

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    3W per aureola is probably a good start. Modify her favourite sports bra/top to accommodate, leave room for the wiring. The battery pack could pretty much go anywhere, perhaps between two peaks. The whole “headlights/highbeams” joke thing now takes on a serious game. Illuminating indeed. Hard to believe I am the only sad sonofabeetch to have thought of this.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    These guys sell some pretty thin LiPo cells that would sit on a headband better than a 18650. That is, if you don't mind your wife strapping an explosive device to her head. Mind you, many of us strap a battery to highly combustible polystyrene helmets and I'm not aware anyone has been decapitated yet

http://www.all-battery.com/li-polyersinglecells.aspx

mtbr member
    Hi!

I jog alot during winter and it gets dark early so I always have a headlamp when I go out.

I made my own light w/ an old 35mm housing, glued 3 old XP-Gs w/ a wide reflector, controlled w/ a maxflex. I have 2x 18650 batteries in my backpocket. It is very light and powerful.

I tought of fixing my light on my chest also but the main reason I wear it on my head is when I run (facing trafic) and someone is coming too close to my liking, I can quickly aim my light at him so he can move a little. I don't see myself pointing my chest

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here is a production set up:

http://gomotiongear.com/blog/

I run ultras and I wouldn't mount it to anything other than my head (I keep my battery in a camelback type backpack). If I need to do anything other than running, a chest mount becomes a pain. Tie shoes, look up/down the trail, at a tree marker, even looking at a watch. The same thing would apply to running on the road. When I'm running, I'd prefer a headlamp that I could aim at a driver that I felt wasn't looking or one that was turning but didn't notice me.

I also can't imagine that all the bouncing would make for great visibility. I would want it on my head which would be much more stable.

If designing it myself, I'd make a headband and then balance out the light with two cells at the back of the band, a few inches away from each other. It would be light enough to not even notice.

mtbr member
    Thanks. That looks like what we were thinking of. She refuses to consider putting one on her head.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44277
    +
    extend the wire for putting the battery to your pocket (or backpack), and the job is done.

Members who have read this thread: 0