Which Light To Get- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Reputation: Sanoske312's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    96

    Which Light To Get

    hello everybody I'm kinda stuck deciding between a few lights for mt hardtail for some nighttime trail riding any help would be greatly appreciated

    1st choice DX 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light Set - $79.81
    2nd Choice Blackburn System X4 Led Light - $69
    3rd choice Rav X Beam X Lighting System - $74.99

    Final choice dx MTE "P7-D" SSC P7-C 5-Mode Memory 900-Lumen LED Flashlight - $37 and add on a handle bar clamp

    which would last the longest and be the brightest?

  2. #2
    Carbon8er
    Reputation: El34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,404
    I am not familiar with choice 2 and 3.

    I would get the DX light, personally.
    The flashlight is not really a bike light, the DX light is.

    You can convert the rubber band mount to Marwi helmet/ handlebar mounts if you want a better mount system.

    With the DX light, you get a large external battery pack for lots of burn time and the battery pack has solid connections, not just friction connections like a flashlight has.

    There's several other reasons I would choose the DX light over a flashlight, mainly because of the way a bike light is purposely built for biking and a flashlight isn't.

  3. #3
    I Am Specialized
    Reputation: mikkelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    161
    Blackburn System X8
    2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp | 2009 Specialized Roubaix Comp | 2008 Specialized Langster New York

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    Blackburn is very underpowered.
    Halogen is outdated.

    Go with the 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light Set. Best bang for the buck.

    Order it through Geoman here on the forum. You will get it faster and he gives you a warranty in case there is a problem.

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Blackburn is very underpowered.
    Halogen is outdated.

    Go with the 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light Set. Best bang for the buck.

    Order it through Geoman here on the forum. You will get it faster and he gives you a warranty in case there is a problem.
    X 1,000,000 just got mine from Geoman, superfast shipping and great customer service... as far as the light goes, its VERY bright and im sure will destroy any other light in its price range.. (other than DIY lights) Go get one, and embarass your friends who just broght $400 tesla's... youll see what I mean...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    40
    How does the rubberband mount work? How much does the light and battery weigh? It looks like I am going to get this from Geoman.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: falldowngoboom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6
    The "rubber band" mount is an O-ring that you stretch from on attachment on the light, around the bar, then attach the other side to the light. Works great for many bars, BUT if you have a tight cockpit from a computer mount, cables, OR bars that immediately bend or rise in an angle, you might not get the beam to go straight ahead.

    If you have a soldering iron around, or know anyone who does, I'd go to EL34's website and purchase the Marwi handlebar mount, the DX adapter piece, and don't forget the nylon bolt to attach the adapter piece to the mount. A whopping total of ~$15 and a HUGE improvement for usability.
    http://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights1.htm

    I just got my adapter and mounts a few days ago, and they work perfectly for both helmet and bars.

    Besides, you should open the light anyway to make sure there are no metal shavings floating around.

    Best of luck with the light!

  8. #8
    Carbon8er
    Reputation: El34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,404
    Thanks falldown, appreciate the feedback.

    I have been selling a bunch of those DX to Marwi adapters.
    Many more than I thought I would initially.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,330
    I've got the MTE P7-D had it over a year, nice light good flood, good bar mount.

    Personally, I'd go for 2 x the $30 MTE P7D SXO $60 + 4 batterys $20 + Charger $10 so $90 area all in.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    425

    Don't keep us in suspense!!!

    What light did you get, and how does it work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanoske312
    hello everybody I'm kinda stuck deciding between a few lights for mt hardtail for some nighttime trail riding any help would be greatly appreciated

    1st choice DX 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light Set - $79.81
    2nd Choice Blackburn System X4 Led Light - $69
    3rd choice Rav X Beam X Lighting System - $74.99

    Final choice dx MTE "P7-D" SSC P7-C 5-Mode Memory 900-Lumen LED Flashlight - $37 and add on a handle bar clamp

    which would last the longest and be the brightest?
    "I can only assume chan slap is what happens when you get assaulted by Jackie Chan. I don't think anybody can prevent that."

  11. #11
    I Am Specialized
    Reputation: mikkelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Blackburn is very underpowered.
    I wouldn't possibly need anything brighter.
    2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp | 2009 Specialized Roubaix Comp | 2008 Specialized Langster New York

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,330
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkelz
    I wouldn't possibly need anything brighter.

    Wait till you try brighter!!!


    Especially in the middle of winter dark mud on dark ground needs all the lumens you can get to spot it.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    596
    I need something brighter!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by falldowngoboom
    If you have a soldering iron around, or know anyone who does, I'd go to EL34's website and purchase the Marwi handlebar mount, the DX adapter piece, and don't forget the nylon bolt to attach the adapter piece to the mount.
    What's the soldering iron for?

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.