Li-Po vent!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Li-Po vent!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Li-Po vent!

Hi all,

In the process of making some LED lights and had a second hand Li-Po I got off ebay which I've been using for testing, last night for no reason at all the thing vented in my shed! I've read a few things about these batteries exploding but I was quite shocked when it happened especially as it was just sat on the work top unplugged, fortunately it was just smoke and no flames.

I've got some 18650's on order I hope these are better behaved!

One question though, if I want to power 2 Cree R2's from a 7.4v battery do I need a driver? If I don't use a driver will it damage the LED's/battery or is a driver just used to give a constant current?

Sorry if that is a basic question but I'm new to this.

some kind of hero...
    You need a driver and a protection circuit for the batteries. It will damage the LEDs without a driver and you risk the dreaded venting of the batteries without a protection circuit.

Lots of info is available here and on the candlepower forums on this.

Good luck
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi Andy and welcome to the forum
    If you need any help battery wise or if you would prefer me to build you a battery up please email me.
    other that that welcome aboard and enjoy the trip of bikelight building

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the replies, I kind of though that I would need a driver if I was going to do it properly. I ordered some off DX last week but they seem to be out of stock and may take a while longer, the Taskled nFlex looks very nice and has built in battery cut off so I may yet got for this.

Reason for the question is that I recently bought a helmet light off ebay that is basically an R2 LED with optic, some wire and a battery box for 3AA batteries, to be honest it's amazing, especially after my 4 year old electrons. And I kind of thought I'll have a go at making one only to discover loads of MTBers are already doing it.

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by andyt127
    Thanks for the replies, I kind of though that I would need a driver if I was going to do it properly. I ordered some off DX last week but they seem to be out of stock and may take a while longer, the Taskled nFlex looks very nice and has built in battery cut off so I may yet got for this.

Reason for the question is that I recently bought a helmet light off ebay that is basically an R2 LED with optic, some wire and a battery box for 3AA batteries, to be honest it's amazing, especially after my 4 year old electrons. And I kind of thought I'll have a go at making one only to discover loads of MTBers are already doing it.
    I'm guessing that the 3 AA batteries can't discharge at a very high rate anyway so you don't need a driver for that setup... Cheap and dirty, but it sounds like it will work...

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

Members who have read this thread: 0