Lexan over lenses as a cover - good or bad ?- Mtbr.com
    I like bloody ankles

New question here. Lexan over lenses as a cover - good or bad ?

I'm testing various lenses using an achesalot design with 3 x R2 driven by 1a buckpuck - circlo, Ledil, and DX#01920 lenses are all being considered. Once I find the combo I'm most satisfied with, I plan to cover the front of the light with Lexan purchased from Lowes, I think it's .062", or 1.5mm.

I notice that the Lexan advertises to filter UV rays, and I'm a bit concerned about another percentage of light loss through this layer. Is this something to be concerned with, or is the loss negligible ?

And how have you attached the Lexan/plexi to the front of this design, just a thin layer of silicon around the edge ? The light has turned out so clean so far, and I'm afraid this could be the weak link in appearance.

thanks

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    If you use Ledil square lenses, they will fit almost perfectly in 1" square tubing, and no need for a lexan cover.
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

I spelled Knievel wrong
    I've used Lexan on several lights and while it isn't as good as A/R coated glass, it doesn't kill the output that much and it is really tough and easy to work with.

I like bloody ankles
    thanks guys, lexan siliconed to the front will be the plan unless I use the Ledil optics, then I'll just run a small silicon bead around the optics and call it good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Lexan seems to glow when it is used as a lens. I like the way it glows to the sides, from its cut edges. I believe it increases sideways visibility.

Members who have read this thread: 0