Ledil Boom optics on P7 ?- Mtbr.com
    I like bloody ankles

Beamshots - Ledil Boom optics on P7

I originally posted this as an inquiry a week ago, and got no responses. So I went ahead and bought the Ledil Boom M and S reflectors to test for a double P7-D build that I'm gearing up, to use an achesalot design with lots of heatsinking, and running variable dimming using a pot and shark buck 3 amp driver.

I don't have all the parts yet, so for these shots I used an MTE 2-mode flashlight to test the Boom optics. It is a P7 C bin in direct drive that I've observed running at over 3 amps with a fresh 18650, but in this case the cell was reading 4.09v so I would guess it's pushing about 2.8-2.9a.

This is intended to use for a bar light, so I want lots of flood and peripheral vision to complement the spotty light on the hat.

Without sharing my opinion, what do you think, which would you use - Boom M or S ?

Link to slideshow with navigation controls on the top and optic name on bottom:

https://dieselsmoke.smugmug.com/gall...093_ZeH9e-A-LB

-or-

here's a couple simple images:

--MTE flashlight optic--

--Boom M--

--Boom S--
    Last edited by dsjc; 06-16-2009 at 06:45 AM. Reason: updated with beamshots

I like bloody ankles
    edited the original, so here's a bump......

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Looks like the booms lose some of the throw that the torch optic has. For my tastes the torch is the better beam.

I like bloody ankles
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    Looks like the booms lose some of the throw that the torch optic has. For my tastes the torch is the better beam.
    Certainly agree with that, there's no doubt that the torch reflector has a far better throw and I run a similar beam on the helmet. But in this case I'm really looking for flood since my helmet will take care of the throw.

Not as much difference as I expected between the Boom M and S, in fact I don't think the S offers any more throw than the M and it loses quite a bit of peripheral light.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've had P7 boom-S and boom-M's on my desk for a while (didn't respond to your original post since I haven't had time to finish my barlight project). However having that said, I've done the same as you have, rough beamshots on my wall using a P7 torch and noticed the same results you did.

I'm in the same boat as you - not worried about throw cause my helmet light will more than take care of that part. I'm looking to have a VERY floody barlight. Of the beam choices you've shown, I agree, the boom-M is more than sufficient flood without sacrificing output.

I like bloody ankles
    Cool, we're in the same path, and I thought most folks had all but given up on the P7's in favor of the MC-E.

I'll have all my parts by early next week and I think I'll try two Boom M's at first and see how it goes. The housing is pretty much done, now it's just the waiting game......

I'll post more beamshots of the dual when it's ready.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    For a bar light isn't some kind of oval beam be better? Think of car high beams. They are wider side to side and narrow vertically. Wouldn't a beam pattern like that be best?

I like bloody ankles
    Ledil does make some wide oval optics, but none for the P7, in fact optics choices are quite limited for the P7.

The Boom M really is plenty wide enough anyway. Hard to tell from the pics, but the light is broadcast to almost 180 degrees right out of the front of the reflector and provides lots of peripheral illumination.

mtbr member
    Boom S is as wide as you should go. I have a couple of those on mods i've done, and they still leave a bunch to be desired as far as throw goes. last ever diy

Surprised that you don't have a problem with a dark ring, I bailed on the boom series because i can't stand those dark rings (like in your pic 1 on the lower left). Mounted on an MCE you will get a big ring. Like this...

The ledil lens are usually super high eff btw, suprisingly they are better than a reflector is, I talked to one of their engineers. Soo may be a better option. I honestly think the MCE + Eva-D is the best combo out there for trail riding. Fell in love with it ...was the final missing link for my own kit venture.

Will meet up some time for 'tunnels' then mess around w/ the lights. ~C

I like bloody ankles
    I was also surprised at the very smooth diffusion of the Boom M, and maybe even more so that the S offered very little if anymore throw. But I guess that may be normal for such a short reflector.

All the optics choices just prompted me to buy an MC-E torch and an MC-E star and handful of optics. I'll finish the dual P7 with Booms, but now I know what's next....is there an end to this little "hobby" ???

Up for the tunnels trip whenever you are !

mtbr member
    There was an end, at least there needed to be (long story, but has to do with life priorities). And ...at least I thought there could be one. And ...the best thing for an addict to do is publicly admit 'i will stop' . But I guess I had the wrong support crowd, words of encouragement to continue was exactly want I didn't need

So here i am ...still addicted. At least once or twice a day sometimes more. ...lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sdnative
    Surprised that you don't have a problem with a dark ring, I bailed on the boom series because i can't stand those dark rings (like in your pic 1 on the lower left). Mounted on an MCE you will get a big ring. Like this...
    The cutoff is no-where near that sharp on the P7. Probably more drastic on the MCE since the dies are closer and the dome is alot smaller and recessed into the lens than on a P7.

Members who have read this thread: 0